Mint Weed Posioning (Perilla Mint)

Help Support CattleToday:

OleScout

Reaction score
Well folks, I got on here last Thursday whining about the low market prices. I was reminded Friday that there are worse things than low prices. Lost three calves (300-350#) to mint weed poisoning. We've had cattle all my life and until Friday I had never heard of mint weed or mint weed poisoning.
Vet said she is seeing more of it and once they get it its almost always fatal. After talking to her and Googling I went to the pasture checking for it. Found about five little patches along my south line fence. Neighbors place is grown up so along that line is shady and damp. Several plants had the tops and some seed bitten out of them. Pulled up and chopped all we could find then when back and shredded the whole area.

I have Perilla Mint in several patches over the farm. I know it is poisonous to cattle. I made it a point to call the agronomist at the University of Kentucky. He told me not to over graze my pastures and I should be fine. He said they only graze it when they are forced to by lack of more desirable forage.

I believe that to be true. Been dry here since Aug and I had quite a bit of "brown" grass. I've been giving them protein (2&1 and a couple of tubs) to make them eat the brown grass before putting out hay. Rain last week and the pasture greened back up quite a bit.

I might add: this is the first summer I have worried about it. The pastures got dry in the early fall. I think I may try to spray it next fall.

Cattle seem to be drawn to it, when it is wilting from a chemical kill. I've posted pictured of perilla mint 5 and 6 feet tall on here.

Bigfoot said:
Cattle seem to be drawn to it, when it is wilting from a chemical kill. I've posted pictured of perilla mint 5 and 6 feet tall on here.

What practices have you found that work good to kill it?

Bright Raven said:
Bigfoot said:

What practices have you found that work good to kill it?

No real practice, but 2 four D will melt it like a popsicle. Just do it when cows aren't in the field.

2,4d is the ticket. Drought stress and heat apparently didn't stop absorption for me.

It is really bad here this year

I see my sheep eating it, some, not a lot.

My cows don't ever eat it, or not yet

Latest posts