Knapp weed and cows....

Help Support CattleToday:

Susie David

Reaction score
What's the skinny on cows eating Knapp weed. have read that it causes some problems...cages their gyro or shorts a circuit in the brain, something like that.
Have had others tell me that their cows have no ill effects after eating the weed.
Ours will eat the shoots in early spring and do a real nice job of keeping a field clear of the stuff but won't touch the mature plant. Same cows that love Canadian Thissle.
Any advise....thanks, Dave Mc

The Merck VM lists two types of knapweeds - Russian and yellow.

I can't link you to the actual table but if you go to http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp and type in "Knapp weed" in the search box, it's the 9th one listed, "Table: Poisonous Range Plants". Then it's listed under "Dangerous Season: Summer and Fall".

FWIW, it only says they're toxic to horses, not cows.

I have never heard of it being toxic to cattle. Alot of knapweed here in central WA and cattle seem to graze it when it's young, and then spread the seeds when its mature. The only plant that is of real concern in central and eastern WA is lupine. Thats the one that causes crooked-calf disease.

This is interesting, I think there are a few different knapweeds.
Its new to our country, but already its everwhere. Came from road ditches. I think from govenment seeding.

My cows so far, leave it alone, won't eat it. But it's getting drier so we'll see. It looks to me like it's going to be a real problem in pastures. Its drought resistant, it has a natural hebicide, tons of seed, and cattle prefere not to eat it, spreads like crazy.

But as far as hurting cattle that eat it. Put it this way, if it does, the beef industry will change as we know it. Knapweed is soon to be everywhere.

mnmt

You can spray it when its young and get a good kill on it. We have diffuse and russian knapweed around here, and as long as you don't let it bloom too long, you can spray it with Tordon or a 2-4d Roundup mix and get it before it starts to spread.

If you start seeing it, do something or else it can really explode. Some guys are able to mow it to help control it, but if it has started to go to seed, whats the point.

Spray it when its young and you can start to get a handle on a bad infestation.

I don't have the website, but western Montana has done alot of work with it. Google War on Weeds Montana and something might show up.

I still don't think it is that bad for cattle, I have seen cattle graze it when it is young and coming out of the rosette. After that they dont seem to like it.

Knapweed is a horrible noxious weed . The bee keepers spread seeds all over around here (western mt) before they knew better - it is supposed to make excellent honey.
They now have a bug that will actually control it. You could probably contact them if you are really interested.
http://ag.montana.edu/warc/biological_c ... apweed.htm

I live near the experiment station and have actually found the knapweed bugs hanging off of my dogs lips!

I have sprayed it with Redeem and it works like a charm to kill it.

Thanks folks....we have a neighbor that has ten or so acres that wants us to run a few head on and is over-run with the stuff. Started to mow it and found some real grass underneath so it looks like we can extend our grazing season a few more weeks :D Dave Mc
P.S. ours is the spotted knapweed

Latest posts