minimum horsepower

Help Support CattleToday:

B&M Farms

Reaction score
Im looking to buy a tractor to run a 9 foot sickle and maybe use to do some pasture spraying with a 100 gallon tank. What would be the minimum pto horsepower you would be looking for? Im using a old 5000 ford right now but its starting to cost more than its worth to keep it running. I know i can get by with a smaller tractor for these tasks, i just dont want to under do it.

B&M Farms":3ltn0l99 said:
Im looking to buy a tractor to run a 9 foot sickle and maybe use to do some pasture spraying with a 100 gallon tank. What would be the minimum pto horsepower you would be looking for? Im using a old 5000 ford right now but its starting to cost more than its worth to keep it running. I know i can get by with a smaller tractor for these tasks, i just dont want to under do it.
If that is all your ever gonna do with it then you could probably get by with a 35 to 45hp (pto hp) tractor but your 5000 is only a 54 to 58 pto hp tractor ( depends if diesel or gas)
you can have alot of repairs done for what another tractor will cost

IMO, the 5000 is one of the best tractors ever built in its HP range. But like everything else they also eventually wear out. Neighbor has a 5000 that did everything on the place for many years. The SOS trans is causing some problems now. Finding a mechanic that knows how to fix the SOS might be tough.

If you can fix and keep your 5000 into a reliable state of mechanical repair for your needs, perhaps that would be the best course for you. Maybe keep an eye open for another good one on a dealer lot or farm sale. There were conventional gear drive transmissions available. I'd think one of these would be as bulletproof as the rest of the tractor if maintained properly.

The 5000 has been a good tractor for many years but just in the last year it seems i have to work on it everytime i do something. I have a 1135 massey i use for baling, discing and larger chores. It just seems that everytime i rebuild something on the ford, something else goes wrong with it.

John SD":3be9srt8 said:
IMO, the 5000 is one of the best tractors ever built in its HP range. But like everything else they also eventually wear out. Neighbor has a 5000 that did everything on the place for many years. The SOS trans is causing some problems now. Finding a mechanic that knows how to fix the SOS might be tough.

If you can fix and keep your 5000 into a reliable state of mechanical repair for your needs, perhaps that would be the best course for you. Maybe keep an eye open for another good one on a dealer lot or farm sale. There were conventional gear drive transmissions available. I'd think one of these would be as bulletproof as the rest of the tractor if maintained properly.

Pass this hint along to your neighbor. Many of the clutch packs in the SOS are Ford C6. If you have access to hot rod parts you can get bronze clutch discs for a C6. Makes that old SOS almost bullet proof. And you can buy them for about a forth of what Ford tractor wants for their paper discs.

I would think just about any reputable automatic transmission shop in your area could tackle that job if you brought him the transmission. They are really simple to work on.

Kingfisher":2hko78ce said:
I would find a good dealer or tractor mechanic near you and see what they say about your needs.....

ditto; especially the mechanic!

Thanks for all the advice. I had to put a seal kit and new filter in the power steering pump, and blow out the steering sector. I think all that was wrong was a piece of the old filter in the steering sector. The ole 5000 steers like a new one again. I guess a little down time just goes with it sometimes.

B&M Farms":26pmie7w said:
Thanks for all the advice. I had to put a seal kit and new filter in the power steering pump, and blow out the steering sector. I think all that was wrong was a piece of the old filter in the steering sector. The ole 5000 steers like a new one again. I guess a little down time just goes with it sometimes.
thats kinda the way you look at it,, especially after you price a new one. you get slapped back to reality.. i got a heck of alot more time, than money :cowboy:

Looking at some of these new tractors do you spend much less time fixing them than the older ones?

It may even be easier for old Ford and JD tractors to get the bits. I keep having to wait two, three weeks for little bits that mean the eight year old tractors here will not run. I keep getting bits not in North America, even for the one that was built here...

Latest posts