Mini donkeys as herd guardians?

Help Support CattleToday:

oakrunfarm":2k20o6gs said:
Thank you all so much. This is really helpful information to have.

I just REALLY don't want to get a dog – even though I am sure that would be a better bet as far as protection goes. We were out every day over the holiday putting up the run-in for the cattle, and the neighbor's stupid Anatolian Shepherd barked at us the whole time, and we were not anywhere near her property. (I am sure that is completely unlike most dogs of that breed. The thing is a nut case.)

We've got a Jack Russell Terrier and a Doberman. They are not stock dogs, but they are smart enough to know not to bark at dogs or people working on their own darned property! I know her simple dog would bark at any dog we got non-stop, and I am not going to have that. I'd rather go with some kind of stock. Her dummy dog only barked at our cattle for the first day or two.

Arkcowman, we are in NC, so probably a bit far away, but thank you for the offer! It sounds to me like it might be best to find a donk that is part of a herd that is already in with cattle so they will know what the deal is. Hm tncattle, a llama? Aren't they kind of disagreeable in general? I don't know much about them.

Sounds like I am going to have to do some more homework. We are only going to have a very small herd – like 6-8 max – on 20 acres, so it's not a big job. Thanks again all.

If I was close enough to a neighbour that the dog barked at me I would sell and move.

That dog will likely provide you with all the protection you need - and all the aggravation you want for dessert - I can see how it will be unpleasant - every time you step out the dog barks and the neighbours do nothing.

Personally I figure there are a lot of folks that have cattle and no donkies, mules, llamas and such in that part of the world.

Your biggest prob will be your neighbour.

[Bez]

Our dogs are indoor at night, so they are not much of a deterrent.

Bez, this lady already certainly has been a problem. We bought this place a couple of years ago trying to get away from it all. We built our house back in the back of the acreage, and then she bought right across from us and built her house as close as she could to our place. At least our house is far from hers, but working anywhere that dad-blasted dog of hers can even see us sets the derned thing yapping.

Her guineas have been over here harassing our horses and crapping all over the barn. The JRT took care of that, ha ha. :lol2: Sad for the guineas she killed, but at least it made this idiot get rid of all of them. I told her she could just clip their wings, and she expected ME to come over and do that for her. City folks movin' to the country. Ha ha.

Something else that you can do is run a hot barb wire about 8 to 12 inches from the ground. It will keep the coyotes out.

[Bez said:
":t3ajaryt]
oakrunfarm":t3ajaryt said:
Thank you all so much. This is really helpful information to have.

I just REALLY don't want to get a dog – even though I am sure that would be a better bet as far as protection goes. We were out every day over the holiday putting up the run-in for the cattle, and the neighbor's stupid Anatolian Shepherd barked at us the whole time, and we were not anywhere near her property. (I am sure that is completely unlike most dogs of that breed. The thing is a nut case.)

We've got a Jack Russell Terrier and a Doberman. They are not stock dogs, but they are smart enough to know not to bark at dogs or people working on their own darned property! I know her simple dog would bark at any dog we got non-stop, and I am not going to have that. I'd rather go with some kind of stock. Her dummy dog only barked at our cattle for the first day or two.

Arkcowman, we are in NC, so probably a bit far away, but thank you for the offer! It sounds to me like it might be best to find a donk that is part of a herd that is already in with cattle so they will know what the deal is. Hm tncattle, a llama? Aren't they kind of disagreeable in general? I don't know much about them.

Sounds like I am going to have to do some more homework. We are only going to have a very small herd – like 6-8 max – on 20 acres, so it's not a big job. Thanks again all.

If I was close enough to a neighbour that the dog barked at me I would sell and move.

That dog will likely provide you with all the protection you need - and all the aggravation you want for dessert - I can see how it will be unpleasant - every time you step out the dog barks and the neighbours do nothing.

Personally I figure there are a lot of folks that have cattle and no donkies, mules, llamas and such in that part of the world.

Your biggest prob will be your neighbour.

[Bez]

This is the post that says it all :cowboy: The sad thing is a lot of the ''guard'' dogs are a lot of trouble and expense for very little proven results. If you have anyone living within earshot, guard dogs seem to attract trouble :???: