minerals (again)

Help Support CattleToday:

peb

Reaction score
Hello.... a question on amount of minerals that should be eaten .. First let me tell you situation i have 20 head in about 60 acres lot of diff stuff to eat , i keep 3 kinds of salt out for them (white ,yellow ,brown ) also keep a mineral lick tub at all times ,and a mineral feeder free choice with MFA mag meal. the mag meal is not getting used hardely at all. the lick tub (200) lb has been in since feb this yr.. i guess my question is should i pull the salt and make them use the mineral feeder or do any of you think they will eat it if they want it thanks

i am not sure about your particular brand of mineral, but most mineral mixes have all the salt they need and will be self-regulating. the salt blocks are nearly worthless. get rid of the salt and let them figure out what they need.

they might not eat any more mineral than they already are. if so, you know they are getting what they need and the salt blocks arent preventing them from meeting their nutritional needs.

I would only use loose free choice minerals. That should have the salt they want and the minerals they need all together. I think this would be better for the cows and cheaper on you.

peb, I to had problems with that brand.
Switched to another and am satisfied so far.
Some loose minerals require additional salt others don't.
I'd just as soon buy my salt separate.
I wouldn't replace the brown and yellow. Let them finish it if they will. Yellow blocks seem to stay here a long time.
And there are better things to fight ticks with than sulfer blocks. The brown are they trace mineral only or trace mineral with rabon? My cows really liked those with rabon. But I use a mineral with IGR now so don't use the brown any more.
Put the tub in the barn till Jan.

TXBobcat":253u2koc said:
For those of you feeding Right Now minerals, are you also putting out salt blocks?

I only use the minerals free choice, that should be all they need.

Remember a watched Pot never boils and a full (free choice) mineral feeder will empty as they need the minerals.

JMO

Latest posts