Mineral

Help Support CattleToday:

Isn't the mineral mix a response to what you are feeding and certain conditions? Not sure what is what, but I thought them things matter.

I generally would like to see the magnesium about equal to the Phosphorous....this one is less than half.

old time rule of thumb was Ca - Phos - Mag ratio : 2-1-1

Recommendations have changed lately but this has done well for me for 40 years.

With the exception of the Amaferm in it, it simply looks like a typical mineral. Nothing really special about it nor anything wrong with it. If the Amaferm is in there at recommended rates it should run you at least $35 a bag. Sort of strange that it would have copper included in proteinate form but no others in that form.

TexasBred":2ldh9mcy said:
With the exception of the Amaferm in it, it simply looks like a typical mineral. Nothing really special about it nor anything wrong with it. If the Amaferm is in there at recommended rates it should run you at least $35 a bag. Sort of strange that it would have copper included in proteinate form but no others in that form.
I wanted to look that up.. Def. - Amaferm is a product derived from Aspergillus oryzae fermentation that improves fiber digestibility in ruminants.

How necessary do you view Amaferm?

HDRider":kw11lqmq said:
TexasBred":kw11lqmq said:
I wanted to look that up.. Def. - Amaferm is a product derived from Aspergillus oryzae fermentation that improves fiber digestibility in ruminants.

How necessary do you view Amaferm?
It's not necessary at all but is one of the few additives which actually work as advertised. It also will help considerably with conception rates. Vitaferm makes a mineral called "Concept Aid" which has been discussed here before. Basically it's just regular mineral with Amaferm added but everyone that uses it is really impressed with the results.

Thanks TB. You a real asset on all this. That really proves the point I was trying to make. Certain mineral mixes have certain reason. I wish I had a list. So far I logged three reasons. Bred, conception and Fescue.

Just another thing in my journey to cow learning.

HDRider":1lijewwt said:
Thanks TB. You a real asset on all this. That really proves the point I was trying to make. Certain mineral mixes have certain reason. I wish I had a list. So far I logged three reasons. Bred, conception and Fescue.

Don't forget the hi-mag mineral for grass tetany when grazing lush green forage.

TexasBred":1nd1ckms said:
HDRider":1nd1ckms said:

Don't forget the hi-mag mineral for grass tetany when grazing lush green forage.
That is what I meant by Fescue. That is my lush green rush.

Poloxalene also when grazing legumes or really lush vegetation. Here it's early spring wheat

Probably should a thread for this, but I've got 20 bred heifers and a bull penned separate from the herd. I'd been feeding loose mineral in a shed they could run in and out of. As winter nears, I shut them out of the shed, and bought a mineral tub. Never in my life, have I seen so much mineral eaten. Keep thinking they will slow down. If they are eating it because they need it, then my other mineral was junk. If they are eating it because it taste good, I need to cut a barrel to feed some more loose.

I tried vitalix tubs and they ate it like candy and never did slow down.
They went through 3 tubs and I switched to a loose mineral.
I think they ate it cause it was sweet

Bigfoot":3cdch7d4 said:
Probably should a thread for this, but I've got 20 bred heifers and a bull penned separate from the herd. I'd been feeding loose mineral in a shed they could run in and out of. As winter nears, I shut them out of the shed, and bought a mineral tub. Never in my life, have I seen so much mineral eaten. Keep thinking they will slow down. If they are eating it because they need it, then my other mineral was junk. If they are eating it because it taste good, I need to cut a barrel to feed some more loose.
They eat it because it taste good. It just happens to have mineral in it. With normal consumption a 200 lb. tub still would only last 20 head 8-10 days at most.

mine are eating 2 bags of salt to 1 bag of mineral right now/ I picked up a bag Saturday of big 6 salt , supposed to have the main 6 minerals in it Idk or care if it does it was 5 bucks for the bag cause of a small cut in bag.

TexasBred":2cvt3efm said:
Bigfoot":2cvt3efm said:
They eat it because it taste good. It just happens to have mineral in it. With normal consumption a 200 lb. tub still would only last 20 head 8-10 days at most.

As a line item, mineral is a pretty big expense for me, but it's not one I've ever found a way to cut. That tub lasted them about that long, so I guess it wasn't too bad. On a per pound basis, it was considerably more than loose mineral though.

Bigfoot":3lmydf6r said:
TexasBred":3lmydf6r said:
Bigfoot":3lmydf6r said:

As a line item, mineral is a pretty big expense for me, but it's not one I've ever found a way to cut. That tub lasted them about that long, so I guess it wasn't too bad. On a per pound basis, it was considerably more than loose mineral though.
Yessir and probably had a lesser mineral concentration in it as well. But it does entice them to consume. Some folks will add some cottonseed meal, dried molasses or DDG to their mineral to make it a little more attractive and palatable.

What about those purina mineral tubs with Availa4? They say their equal to about 4 1/2 bags of mineral w/availa4 which is about 24$ a bag here. Tubs about $120 to $130.
Will they over consume them vs. the loose mineral?

Banjo":v2r2ff2h said:
What about those purina mineral tubs with Availa4? They say their equal to about 4 1/2 bags of mineral w/availa4 which is about 24$ a bag here. Tubs about $120 to $130.
Will they over consume them vs. the loose mineral?
I used the Purina All Season Mineral with Availa 4 . Excellent mineral and no problem with consumption. Availa 4 is your chelated minerals.

Latest posts