Mineral

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred":gem7xqf4 said:
Banjo":gem7xqf4 said:
What about those purina mineral tubs with Availa4? They say their equal to about 4 1/2 bags of mineral w/availa4 which is about 24$ a bag here. Tubs about $120 to $130.
Will they over consume them vs. the loose mineral?
I used the Purina All Season Mineral with Availa 4 . Excellent mineral and no problem with consumption. Availa 4 is your chelated minerals.
Have you ever used the purina mineral tubs w/the chelated minerals? Feed stores around here keep the tubs but not the loose with the chelated. They gotta order two ton at a time and I guess they are afraid they can't sell it.
Closest place that keeps it on hand is an hour and a half drive away.

My steers are bucket fed every day. I sprinkle the amount of mineral they are supposed to have each day on top to their feed.
My cows are actually bucket feed everyday too but I just leave loose mineral out for them.

Banjo":17zcdin7 said:
TexasBred":17zcdin7 said:
Banjo":17zcdin7 said:
What about those purina mineral tubs with Availa4? They say their equal to about 4 1/2 bags of mineral w/availa4 which is about 24$ a bag here. Tubs about $120 to $130.
I used the Purina All Season Mineral with Availa 4 . Excellent mineral and no problem with consumption. Availa 4 is your chelated minerals.
Have you ever used the purina mineral tubs w/the chelated minerals? Feed stores around here keep the tubs but not the loose with the chelated. They gotta order two ton at a time and I guess they are afraid they can't sell it.
Sure haven't Banjo. I use loose mineral.

They deliver my mineral, so I'm not usually at the feed store. I stopped by yesterday, to see if they'd let me grab some tags. They must close earlier than I thought, I missed them. I've always thought I fed a quality mineral. The guys that own the place seem to keep up with the times, and mix their own mineral. Maybe this week, I'll get by there.

Banjo":3quh43ry said:
TexasBred":3quh43ry said:
Banjo":3quh43ry said:

See if Purina will drop ship you a ton of the mineral you want. Vitaferm drop ships to me and I end up $2-3 cheaper per bag going that route than through the local feed store.

NolanCountyAG":gw644qkf said:
See if Purina will drop ship you a ton of the mineral you want. Vitaferm drop ships to me and I end up $2-3 cheaper per bag going that route than through the local feed store.

They will do this then show up at the end of the year with dealer's annual sales report and quiz him about why his sales are down. Good for you but makes life hard for the store owner.

To help out with mineral cost our county cattleman's group gets together and buys it by the tractor trailer load. It saves
about 5 dollars per bag. Plus the Mineral packs are formulated for our part of the country.

Banjo":34fdtjeo said:
Banjo keep in mind too that consumption of the tubs is about 6 times as high as the consumption rate of loose mineral. 1.5 lbs. per head per day -vs- 4 oz per head per day.

TexasBred":zg59mu3n said:
Banjo":zg59mu3n said:
Banjo keep in mind too that consumption of the tubs is about 6 times as high as the consumption rate of loose mineral. 1.5 lbs. per head per day -vs- 4 oz per head per day.

I always worry that mine get enough. I defiantly beat the 4 ounces per day though. I guess calves eat about as much as a cow does. Idk.

TexasBred":27he82lr said:
NolanCountyAG":27he82lr said:

They will do this then show up at the end of the year with dealer's annual sales report and quiz him about why his sales are down. Good for you but makes life hard for the store owner.

They make enough on charging the freight to deliver cubes.

NolanCountyAG":3c5y6r83 said:
TexasBred":3c5y6r83 said:
NolanCountyAG":3c5y6r83 said:

Trucks and drivers don't operate for free. Do you??

TexasBred":ixckrmk4 said:
NolanCountyAG":ixckrmk4 said:
TexasBred":ixckrmk4 said:

Trucks and drivers don't operate for free. Do you??

$800 freight for 24 tons 100 miles round trip is straight ridiculous.

I know some independent truckers that have become dealers for wire, T-post and sell at cost plus freight. Zero margin, just freight added.

I've used the Purina mineral tubs and have gone to a loose mineral. I can't see the difference in our cattle but can see a big difference in my end of month expenses. The Purina may be a great tub to use but the cost difference is big.

Latest posts