Mineral Feeders

Help Support CattleToday:

Usually, you can find a 50 gal plastic bucked for $15. We hang a "bullet" (cloth tube filled with fiber to use for a insecticide rub) over the front of the hole, so that the cow has to push it out of the way when she puts her head in the feeder. We make sure it hangs longer than the bottom of the hole, so it does not drip into the mineral.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3b1q06ua said:
Usually, you can find a 50 gal plastic bucked for $15. We hang a "bullet" (cloth tube filled with fiber to use for a insecticide rub) over the front of the hole, so that the cow has to push it out of the way when she puts her head in the feeder. We make sure it hangs longer than the bottom of the hole, so it does not drip into the mineral.

With the tilt of the barrel I wouldn;t think the stuff could drip inside. I've been thinking of doing that also but I was thinking of using the face flyps type of deals. Saw a deal at farm fest last year that had a squirter on the top of the barrel and when the cow stuck her head in the hole it squirted a mist of fly stuff. Talked to one guy that thought it was the cats meow until his cows quit using it because ofthe squirting deal. His minerals sure lasted a long time though.

dun

Hey, that's a good way to save money.
We don't have enough fly pressure to spend the money on something that fancy.
The "bullet" is almost the same lenth of the hole, we just make sure they don't (can't) push it inside the hole. Really works great, especially if I remember to recharge it. :D :shock: Not fly season around here yet. Just had a 23 degree frost 2 days ago, and it was mid 80's just before that. :shock:

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3rf05z4f said:
Hey, that's a good way to save money.
We don't have enough fly pressure to spend the money on something that fancy.
The "bullet" is almost the same lenth of the hole, we just make sure they don't (can't) push it inside the hole. Really works great, especially if I remember to recharge it. :D :shock: Not fly season around here yet. Just had a 23 degree frost 2 days ago, and it was mid 80's just before that. :shock:

We've got flys but not very bad. Had 80's last week, frost the last two mornings. I'm just glad that it rained the day before we got the cold snap. I sure don;t need snow in May, especially what the 2 1/2 inches of rain we got would have turned into.

dun

Latest posts