Mind if I Brag a Little?

Help Support CattleToday:

Hasbeen

Reaction score
:oops: Sorry to be one of those fathers who brags on his kids (at least this time) but with all the negative press our military gets I think it's important to recognize the good they do also.

This past Tuesday morning my wife and I were invited to a Ky. National Guard training facility where my oldest and his unit are in training for their upcoming deployment to Iraq later this year. The occasion was a ceromony awarding my son with the Kentucky Medal of Valor (the highest honor awarded by the Ky. Guard) for saving the life of a man while serving in La. following Hurricane Katrina. While patrolling outside the Baton Rouge Civic Center, he observed a man attempting suicide by standing in front of an oncoming train. He tackled the man and pulled him from the tracks just as the train passed. He then held him down until the train was gone and help arrived.
I admit I scolded my son for risking his life for such a man, but it does make a father proud to for his son to show this type of bravery and concern for others. I've also told him that is enough of this type of thing and all I want now is for him do his job and come home safely after his deployment.
There will be some news releases soon and I will post some links when they become available if you like.

Great news, post the links.
You got a fine young man there.
But from Dad to Dad tell him to keep his head down do his work and come back home, we need more boys like him back here in the states.

MD

Hey, I saw that story on the local news!!

There aren't very many of us who can say, definitively, that we saved someone else's life.. Congrats to your son, and congrats to you for raising him!

:clap:

cmjust0":3ld80073 said:
Hey, I saw that story on the local news!!

There aren't very many of us who can say, definitively, that we saved someone else's life.. Congrats to your son, and congrats to you for raising him!

:clap:

Really? I've been watching closely but there has not yet been anything mention of it in my area. Where did you see it?

Tell your son I said THANK YOU for what he does for us and this Country. The saving of this mans life is a great thing and I applaud him for his actons, but his service to US is far more honorable in my opinion. He obviously thinks of others first, it shows in what he did for that man and for helping to protect the lives of people he doesn't know.

THANK YOU and your wife also, for raising this young man. My prayers are with ya'll and him.

GREAT JOB!!! :heart:

Hasbeen, brag on! Congratulations to you and your son. Men with character like this are the backbone of our country. They deserve all the braggin' on they get.

John 15:13 ..."Greater love has no man than this, that he lay down his life for another."

A6gal":rucj2a3w said:
Hasbeen, brag on! Congratulations to you and your son. Men with character like this are the backbone of our country. They deserve all the braggin' on they get.

John 15:13 ..."Greater love has no man than this, that he lay down his life for another."

Hey A6gal speaking of sons, hows yours doin?

Thanks for sharing with us. You have every right to be proud. But don't scold your son for saving anyones life. You would do the same. As long as there is life it is worth saving. I don,t know the circumstances of the person he saved but sometimes people lose all hope. Thank God its not you. May God continue to bless your family.

Hey A6gal speaking of sons, hows yours doin?[/quote]

Well, he made it through Airforce Boot Camp. I was one proud mom at graduation! Went on to graduate tech school in Wichita Falls and was waiting to be shipped off to Alaska and came down with a minor medical problem. He was given the option of getting out (he didn't have to take it) and under the influence of his girlfriend he took it. Needless to say, I was one disappointed mom! He is now working as a guard at a local prison and thinking about going into law enforcement.

Isn't there a saying that goes.."the influence of a women has ruined many a good man" or something like that? I don't understand it but it rings true in this case! I guess his hormones overpowered good sense.

Hasbeen":1w9h1c7c said:
Really? I've been watching closely but there has not yet been anything mention of it in my area. Where did you see it?

WLEX, I think.. Don't hold me to that, though..

All that really sunk in was 'National Guard,' 'Medal of Valor,' and 'Katrina,' so if it wasn't the right story it was doggone close!! :)

You'll have to cut me some slack.. It was 11pm and I was sleepy. :oops: :lol:

Be proud...we raise them, turn them loose and see what happens. Looks like you did it right!
Our's is in the Idaho Guard and is always going someplace and I encourage it...kind of like I get to do it all over again through him.
DMc

kinda funny the difference between the ones raised on dirt and the ones raised on concrete
Its a shame they all cant end up like your's :D

hasbeen....WELL DONE to your son, and to you and your wife on a fine job, in raising such a man.

A6 don't be hard on your boy, a Law inforcment officer is still a very worthy job. I know a few in your Country and a lot in mine and they do a great job, without them where would our Contries be.

I just saw it posted online, copied the link, and ran over here to post it -- and you beat me to it! :lol:

Congratulate him for us, and wish him our best in Iraq!

cmjust0":hpkn1s7a said:
I just saw it posted online, copied the link, and ran over here to post it -- and you beat me to it! :lol:

I must admit that I've been shamelessly checking the Herald-Leader website several times daily since the reporter first called. :oops: :D
Thank you for your kind words. I think I will have a harder time here keeping his mother calm than he will have in Iraq.

Hasbeen":iwod7gjk said:
cmjust0":iwod7gjk said:

I must admit that I've been shamelessly checking the Herald-Leader website several times daily since the reporter first called. :oops: :D
Thank you for your kind words. I think I will have a harder time here keeping his mother calm than he will have in Iraq.

as a mother I can understand what she will be going through, as my Only Son is thinking of joining up and I am in two minds as to give my blessings.
ditto on the Congratulations to him and all the best and stay safe in Iraq.

Latest posts