Milestone residual..???

Help Support CattleToday:

BlondeD

Reaction score
Involved in an extensive pasture renovation project and used a modest amount of Milestone to attack....and "control"... ??....some serious numbers of tall ironweed, horsenettle and wooly croton....to mention the top 3. The last paddock sprayed last year was around July 4th......and in that section I waited until October to drill in some mixture of grasses and red and white clover.....just to "test" it out. This summer there's a modest amount of clover showing up. ( This was drilled into some fescue/bermuda sod I had grazed/mowed down very short in September.)
Question is.......did I wait long enough??? or should I have waited longer???
Thanks in advance :tiphat:

Totally depends on how much...

Wife used to put little on when spot spraying, and broadleaf weeds won't die - - son used to soak them, and even the grass was killed off for a year.

I have used Milestone for a few years for spot spraying Canadian thistles mainly. I use a 4 wheeler and have had excellent results. What I really like is the weed will start to droop in a few hours and I can go back in a day or two and see if I missed any. I have never seen grass killed where I spray but it will kill clover and alfalfa it touches. I use the recommended rate on the label. farmguy

I am interested in any thoughts on time durations (residual time) for herbicides in general: grazon, milestone, restore, reclaim, etc. Are you finding the residuals are much longer than stated by manufactures before clover, alfalfa, general forbs are re-established? Of course i dont want the weeds to re-establish but what about the GOOD broad leafs? My uneducated guess is that clovers, alfalfa, good forbs do not re-established until the unwanted weeds return.

True Grit Farms said:
ga.prime said:
I bought a 2.5 gallon jug of it, cost $781. I sure hope it's got a long residual.

You got a deal my wife paid $98.80 a quart. Works good on prickly pear and thistles. What are you spaying GP?

Spraying to kill dewberries under pine straw trees. Garlon won't do anything but top kill dewberries and then it's back in a few weeks. The Longleaf Alliance says Milestone will kill dewberries. If it does, it will be because of the residual. Garlon has no residual. That'r right what your wife paid, $98/quart. You have to buy a 2.5 gallon jug to get it down to $78/quart. I'll probably need another 2.5 gallons and I'll just have to go back and get it. I didn't want too much of that stuff sitting around at one time.

True Grit Farms said:
ga.prime said:
I bought a 2.5 gallon jug of it, cost $781. I sure hope it's got a long residual.

You got a deal my wife paid $98.80 a quart. Works good on prickly pear and thistles. What are you spaying GP?

Dang I had to give $112.50 a quart for it and it went down from last year.

Involved in an extensive pasture renovation project and used a modest amount of Milestone to attack....and "control"... ??....some serious numbers of tall ironweed, horsenettle and wooly croton....to mention the top 3. The last paddock sprayed last year was around July 4th......and in that section I waited until October to drill in some mixture of grasses and red and white clover.....just to "test" it out. This summer there's a modest amount of clover showing up. ( This was drilled into some fescue/bermuda sod I had grazed/mowed down very short in September.)
Question is.......did I wait long enough??? or should I have waited longer???
Thanks in advance :tiphat:
I have the same question was wandering did you ever get an answer as to whether or not you waited long enough or how long to wait

I am interested in any thoughts on time durations (residual time) for herbicides in general: grazon, milestone, restore, reclaim, etc. Are you finding the residuals are much longer than stated by manufactures before clover, alfalfa, general forbs are re-established? Of course i dont want the weeds to re-establish but what about the GOOD broad leafs? My uneducated guess is that clovers, alfalfa, good forbs do not re-established until the unwanted weeds return.
I'm seeing about 3 years after spraying grazonnext before any real noticeable amount of broadleaf species come back. Pretty much straight grass stands until then. I have not tried to re-introduce clovers during that time.

Latest posts