Midland Bull Test

Help Support CattleToday:

I haven't looked at the salebook much but I would imagine Robbie Cordingley out of Idaho will do fairly well. I'm not saying he is gonna have the top bull but he usually does very well at Midland on a consistant basis.

It said on there the average for angus was like $337 or something in the $300s. I assume that was a typo or does anyone know if there were a lot of no sales that might have brought it down? I would imagine it prob. should have been $2337 tho.

Anguscollegekid":1vhtb7lh said:
It said on there the average for angus was like $337 or something in the $300s. I assume that was a typo or does anyone know if there were a lot of no sales that might have brought it down? I would imagine it prob. should have been $2337 tho.

If you take the $173,760 and divide that buy the 448 head they sold, it does come out to $388.

Neighbor had 3 make sale, and all went no sale, bringing in bids in the $1200 range. As I understand it, if bid is under $1500 (?) it is a No Sale bull.

MIDLAND BULL TEST

448 Angus Bulls $2,620

TOPS:

Lot 62 - $15,000, a son of SydGen OnStar 3217 to Dickoff Ranch, Onaka, SD

Lot 226 - $13,000, a son of Rito 1I2 of 2536 Rito 6I6 to Vermlion Ranch, Billings, MT

Lot 178 - $13,000, a son of Mytty In Focus to Pass Creek Angus Ranch, Wyola, MT

Lot 227 - $12,750, a son of Connealy Onward to Vermilion Ranch

Lot 336 - $12,500, a son of Bensons Universe 308 to Felton Angus Ranch, Big Timber, MT

Lot 155 - $10,500, a son of Bon View New Design 208 to BR Ranch, Whitewood, SD

Lot 307 - $10,500, a son of Connealy Freightliner to Raven Angus, Colome, SD

Lot 486 - $10,500, a son of Baldridge Kaboom K243 KCF to Haas Angus, LaGrange, WY

Lot 215 - $10,000, a son of Bon View Bando 598 to Jennaway Angus, Melstone, MT

Lot 224 - $10,000, a son of HARB Windy 702 JH to Arntzen Angus, Hilger, MT

Lot 40 - $10,000, a son of N Bar Emulation EXT to Booth's Cherry Creek Angus, Veteran, WY

Lot 143 - $10,000, a son of Ideal 8423 of 1418 o346 to Krone Angus, Columbus, MT and McDonnnell, angus, Columbus, MT

112 Red Angus $2,267

49 South Devon $2,242

2 Shorthorn $2,000

TOP RED ANGUS:

Lot 890 - $20,000, a son of FCC DAy Break 024 consigned by Paintrock Angus Ranch and selling to Holden Ranch, Reed Point, MT

Lot 764 - $8,250, a son of Glacier Logan 210 consigned by West Fork Ranch and selling to Redland Red Angus, Hysham, MT

Lot 801 - $5,250, a son of Fraser Regulator 766 consigned by Fraser Ranch and selling to Pieper Red Angus, Hay Springs, NE

Lot 778 - $5,000, a son of LCHMN Grand Canyon 1244G consigned by Klompien Red Angus and selling to Don Bailey, Rosebud, MT

Lot 709 - $4,200, a son of Glacier Chateau 744 consigned by Knaub Cattle Co. and selling to Randy Brown, Rexberg, ID

TOP SOUTH DEVON:

Lot 1181 - $5,500, a son of DLCC Sure-Enuf consigned by MJB Ranch and selling to Darlynn Cattle Co., Pierz, MN

Lot 1161 - $4,300, a son of DLCC Sure-Enuf consigned by Triple Crown South Devons and selling to Bill McCleerrey, Manville, WY

Lot 1158 - $4,100, a son of Cimarron Big Shot 308N consigned by Stagecoach South Devon and selling to Randy Heiser, Ruso, ND

TOP SHORTHORN:

Lot 1001 - $2,200, a son of Dunbeacon Venture consigned by Y Lazy Y Shorthonrs and selling to Crouthamel Cattle Company, Touchet, WA

Good for the sellers that sold, but too bad that Leo is costing his consigners customers with his politics. I know a fair number of Canadians in southern Ab and Sask that used to go to Midland and buy commercial bulls. Now they will never go back because of his politics but good for our bull sales up here less competition. As far as being a PB breeder you will never see me at that sale buying a bull again.

skcatlman":656qix00 said:
Good for the sellers that sold, but too bad that Leo is costing his consigners customers with his politics. I know a fair number of Canadians in southern Ab and Sask that used to go to Midland and buy commercial bulls. Now they will never go back because of his politics but good for our bull sales up here less competition. As far as being a PB breeder you will never see me at that sale buying a bull again.

But on the other hand he has picked up a lot of customers/consignors due to his long time work for the US cattleman and concern for maintaining the economic viability of the US cattle herd/industry...His concerns for preventing disease exposure to the US cattle herd from foreign imports has shown his commitment to and the importance he puts on raising good healthy cattle/beef.....

Obviously there weren't that many US buyers supporting midland. Alot of bulls were passing, the last sale i attended at midland there was only a hand ful of passes. But I wonder what the guys passing bulls have to say about Leo alienating possible buyers from Canada. His politics aren't costing him any money just his consigners, he still gets paid for feeding the bulls so what does he care if the bulls sell.

The most telling part of the problem is that not 1 person from Canada ever stood up to effectively counter Leo and his 'politics'. Why is that? Leo based his 'politics' on facts. Hard to argue with the truth. Just what is the current count of Canadian cattle that have tested positive for BSE? Why do you continue to expect the USA to take the fall for Canadian problems? We didn't cause your problems. Why do you expect us to solve them?????
Just out of curiousity, how many American bulls have you bought at Midland?

easy":3rhcxsuf said:
The most telling part of the problem is that not 1 person from Canada ever stood up to effectively counter Leo and his 'politics'. Why is that? Leo based his 'politics' on facts. Hard to argue with the truth. Just what is the current count of Canadian cattle that have tested positive for BSE? Why do you continue to expect the USA to take the fall for Canadian problems? We didn't cause your problems. Why do you expect us to solve them?????

You don't know that for sure.

While I understand the apprehension on the BSE hodge podge. Nobody asked you to solve the problems. Remember, there are many American owned cattle up here, heck with Cargill, Tyson, IBP and who knows who else might be in bed with each other. With the strong American presence in the beef industry in Canada you don't think that your friends and colleagues are benefitting from this? Don't kid yourself! There is likely more at stake for those with a vested interest to keep the border shut.

I am not sure if you think that we all have a small bin of blood/bone meal at home and just keep trickling it through. In my area, most guys don't even know what it is. I won't make excuses but if there is BS going on with a feed company, the average Joe doesn't have a clue about it. Like many we are all just trying to make a living and the politics of this are way above our head.
I have said this and million times, why don't we just test everything and then it really doesn't matter.

easy":2rdc7mes said:

Never.

But the fact is north and south are fighting instead of working together - if that does not make some of you folks sit up and take notice then you are all pretty dammed stupid.

Locked gates and patrolled fences make for poor neighbours.

Bez>

If Midland prices/demand was off, I'd not blame it on politics. All of the bull sales I've been to this year have been off. The years of major droughts in the country, plus everybody and his pal getting into the purebred business has created an overabundance of bulls for the demand. Or at least that's my take on the situation.

Didn't Leo resign from R-CALF?

Frankie":v4dgovkt said:
Didn't Leo resign from R-CALF?

No-- Just with the change of officers, he is no longer the Past President, so no longer has a seat on the board...There is a very good letter from him explaining where he stands on the NCBA, R-CALF, COOL, USDA board under the heading "Leo talks some sense"...

Simply stated my opinion on buying bulls from midland bull test. And this gets turned into a R-Calf forum, The three bulls from midland i have been part of only one has proven to be a real producer the other 2 looked exceptional but didn't pan out. They didn't sire the type of calves i wanted.
As far as prices being down because of too many PB breeders i have heard that excuse before and it doesn't wash at a test station sale as the bulls are culled and the poor ones are cut out. As for drought that is a valid reason for the drop in prices. But i would think Leo would do some networking and help his consignors get their bulls sold.
As for leo's "facts" for basing his political view. LMAO Easy maybe you need to read a bit. But i'm not going to argue the whole BSE thing again . Why do some people want to play the blame game? I think it is so they can stay in the denial instead of doing some real workl. That is why Canada is have such an problem with this some US producers. They don't want to work on a solution just blame canada.
The weather was good in Sk. other than the flooded area in the NE or drought in the SW. And every sale i have been to either working or looking to buy at has been good only at 1 sale did see passes on bulls. But on average of the sales i have been too the prices is averaging about 3000 for an average bull and 5000 for a top quality commercial bull. Of course that is canadian dollars so that is 85 cents on the dollar.

Lying Little Leo didn't build the Midland Test Station up his father did. The spoiled little brat just hasn't quite got it run into the ground yet. He got to cash one of my cheques he sure as heck won't cash another.

One things for sure. You Candians need to clean up your feed supply. That's where the trouble started and where it will end. But that would require that you solve your own problem. And that seems to be a concept that is hard for you to understand.

Easy - check out the CFIA regulations and the USDA and FDA regulations, you will see that the candian ones don't contain loop holes allowing cows to eat cows like some other countries. As for BSE starting in Canada check your facts it started in the EU. And according to the age of the texan cow she was the first indeginous animal to aquire it in north america. As for solving the BSE problem just look at recent changes in rules and regulations in canada we are getting things right and enhancing the feedban , SRM's management and testing and tracking systems. To be honest what the US is doing concerning these areas looks like US cattlemen want to spread BSE. Not eliminate it like we want in canada. So is that a concept you get. Get your facts straight and maybe some education.

Good points SK. I have bought and imported many many bulls and females from Montana in the past. And the border used too be nuts just before vector season with bulls coming North. Many coming from Midland. I now take a very good look at the people I do business with because good business should be a two way street. I will bet that there will be very few Canadians that ever darken the door of Midland in the future. That, obviously, does not concern Leo. My experience in the purebred business has taught me never to take any segment of your customer base for granted and to treat all customers the same whether they buy 1 straw of semen or 12 bulls. Our Canadian cattle industry is getting stronger every day, and someday we will take great pride in having survived the bad will of others!!!

easy":3ve4t786 said:
One things for sure. You Candians need to clean up your feed supply. That's where the trouble started and where it will end. But that would require that you solve your own problem. And that seems to be a concept that is hard for you to understand.

Careful where you point THAT finger Easy - you folks do not have a clean feed record either. Or did you miss that big re-call?

We ever get the finger pointing put away then maybe we can solve the problem entirely.

Bez>

Latest posts