Midland 99 sprigs

Help Support CattleToday:

plbcattle

Reaction score
I know it is getting late in the year, but I have tried everything and I always seem to come back to sucess of Midland,coastal of tifton. I can get Midland 99 for $2 a bushel. 30 bushels to the acre, over 40 acres would be $2400. I can rent a sprigger for $12 an acre. that is another $400. That would put mw at around $2800 for 40 acres of Midland 99 for that price. What are your thoughts. Is it a litle late or if I get in done before early june am I still Ok

I would think it is not to late as long as you still get plenty of rain, and not letting it dry out to fast. We just planted tiffton this week.

plbcattle,

How many tons to the acre is the midland 99 suppose to produce ? I have read some good things about the midland 99. As a matter of fact a member of this forum has sprigged a feild of it. But he has not been back on the forum in several months.

If you do go with the 99 i would sure like to hear how that turns out if you would not mind ?

I looked into it and called the guy that was doing the sprigging. He talked me into Greenfield max. He said it produces about the same but grew a lot faster the first year and was easier to get established. He did say the midland 99 was about the best producer but it is very hard to get established and doesn't compete well with weeds. The greenfield max he said grows great and fast and will choke out the weeds missed during spraying. The man's name is Clarence Eaton and his number is 870-429-6523. If you give him your name and address he will mail you out a very informative packet on fertilizing,spraying,preparing,and other things pertaining to sprigs.

I figured up my cost for planting the rancho Frio and it shocked me. I have $7.56 per lb and 15 lbs to the acre.That is $113.56 per acre. I can get the sprigs and rent the machine for under $80 per acre