MidIand Bull Test Video

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms

Reaction score
https://youtu.be/k4vsG5lkQ7c
Everyone that's interested in bulls needs to watch this video. I posted this especially for Branded and Raven maybe they'll pick up on what some folks are trying to say and expect from a bull.
We have an Angus breeder from Florida that has sent bulls out there to see how their breeding decisions compared to some of the other operations. It's called real world results, or putting your money where your mouth is.

The Midland Bull Test brings back memories. I spent a lot of my time in Columbus, Montana. I was the RPM on a hexavalent chromium groundwater plume called the Mouat Industries Site. That was about 1995.

The plume was discharging into the Yellowstone River. The cleanup was completed before I left Montana.

Beautiful country!

I can't hear it too well but I think they were saying that they are now measuring the individual feed intake of the bulls?? If that is the case I think it gives the test a lot more relevance than a straight out weight gain competition.

Ken

wbvs58 said:
I can't hear it too well but I think they were saying that they are now measuring the individual feed intake of the bulls?? If that is the case I think it gives the test a lot more relevance than a straight out weight gain competition.

Ken

I could hear it and I am half deaf. The primary objective of the bull test is to measure feed efficiency. If you can covert 5 pounds of feed to one pound of beef, you are going to realize a much better profit than an operation that requires 10 pounds of feed to produce 1 pound of beef. It is not a straight out weight gain competition.

Yes Midland does feed intake testing, not the first to do it but certainly the biggest and most famous place. Auburn bull test might have been the first but it is gone now. The florida bull test that we go to does it, the buyers dont seem to care if a bull finishes 1st or 101st there thou. We have finished 2nd twice in the last 4 years.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Do they limit feed in the feedlots?

They read bunks feeding cattle to their intake and the more efficient the cattle the more money to be made by everybody in the supply chain from cow calf guy to feedlot operator.

Latest posts