mesquite

Help Support CattleToday:

The most thorough way is to detonate 40 kiloton nuke at about 1000 feet above you're place. Please note that subsequent yearly treatments may be needed.

But seriously, do a search. This has been covered pretty well and if I have to think about it all over again I will probably start to cry. :cry:

Much will depend on the density of your mesquite infestation and the age/size of individual trees. At any time of year the younger, smooth bark trees/bushes can be killed with the basal stem method of treatment using Remedy/diesel mixture as MPR mentioned. As I recall, the Remedy label says to mix it 25% Remedy and 75% diesel, but that might run you into the poorhouse. A much leaner mixture, say 10% Remedy, most probably will do just fine. One of the Cattle Today members has reported getting good kill rates using as little as 1% Remedy along with 1% penetrating agent (essentially a surfacant, such as Penetrater, Cide-Kick II, Agridex) with the mixture liberally applied to the remaining stem immediately after shredding the tree/bush. If you have older, rough bark trees you may have to chainsaw them and then paint the cut surface and stump with the Remedy/diesel misture. Multi-stemmed plants (commonly resulting from prior shredding) are more difficult, expensive and time consuming to treat with Remedy/diesel.

Next spring and early summer you could also consider foliar spraying with a tank mix that includes Reclaim (which was developed specifically for foliar treatment of mesquite), a surfacant and either Grazon or Remedy ( I can't remember offhand which of the two you add) and water, not diesel. If the infestation is super dense and/or large diameter stuff, you may simply have to bulldoze and rootplow, pile & burn, then get ready to hit the re-sprouts and new stuff as it develops.

In any event, basically plan for a never-ending battle of various intensities. "Wipe it out"? Not gunna happen! But you can "control" it. And if you can convince your neighbors for around 100 miles all around you to do the same thing you might be able to breathe easy for a few years, even more so if you can convince the birds to not fly over your land and the wind to not blow. ;-)

chiefgriz":2h7yabcz said:
Get a backhoe and dig em up. Instant death, not to return if you get the roots down low.

Except for all those seeds they left behind that can lay dormant for 25 years.

Latest posts