Mesquite regrowth

Help Support CattleToday:

Creeksidelc

Reaction score
What is the best way to kill the regrowth from mesquite trees that were cut down at ground level with a chainsaw and stumps sprayed with remedy and diesel but for some reason they have come back alive? Most of the trees I cut have not come back but there are some small 2-3 ft bushes that are coming back and I am lookin for opinions on either remedy/diesel or sendero for these. Also do I need to let the re growth grow for another summer until it has more surface area to carry the poison down or can I go ahead and spray right now while the shrubs are still small. Thanks in advance.

I've had good results with sendero on young small smooth bark mesquite,
Mix 1:100 with water and use a surfacant.
Spray either before bean appears or after full bean has developed. Do not spray while beans are growing. Spray from both sides when possible

I agree with fence and use the same mixture but I spray anytime I have a chance. A lot of the small plants won't have beans anyway. No spraying is ever 100% successful. Time of the year and weather conditions have some effect but some of the darn things are just hard to kill.

You really need to boom spray the whole pasture annually. That seed bed will be producing plants the rest of your life.

Remedy and diesel should do the trick. Mesquite is easy to kill. Do a basil spray and be sure to get all the way around the base. If you drive by on an atv, spray it from one side, and go. The side that did not get poision will come back.

Thanks for the replies. I will add that most of these trees were about 6-12 inche's in diameter before cut down. Hopefully there is enough above the ground to take poison down and kill the root.

If you burn (chemically burn, not fire burn) the regrowth every year the stump will eventually die. For future reference the bigger the huisatche or mesquite the easier they are to kill. When they get cut off or shredded some times it takes longer or more to kill them.

I don't have any mesquite here but the 2 biggest mistakes I ever made was bush hogging small stuff followed by cutting mature trees without treating the stumps. There's some kind of biological mechanism that takes place once a plant has been mowed down that negatively affects how herbicide works, but Jogephus is the guy that can explain the science behind why regrowth is so much harder to kill than the original plant.

Latest posts