Mental Problem with cow?

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
My neighbor had a brangus cow about 7 years old. He told me many times before that she was crazy and had mental issues but had great calves. I was skeptical until this past week. She went beserk for no apparent reason. Tore up a fence and ran around the pasture in circles in the 100 degree heat. She finally over heated herself and got down. She went and got into the pond and the neighbor thought that she would be ok when she cooled off. She then went into the center of the pasture and laid down and died. :( No one was chasing or harrasing this cow she just flipped out. He said that he had had the vet check her several times when he could catch her and she was always healthy. She was as wild as a deer and always nervous. The question I have is could this be a fluke or genetic? It is wierd because all of her offspring are normal, gentle animals. Has anyone ever seen one snap like this and literaly kill itself? He has a heifer from her that he wants to sell me that looks really great and acts very normal but I am somewhat concerned about buying it in case a problem might skip a generation.

HOSS":3lsen6bn said:
My neighbor had a brangus cow about 7 years old. He told me many times before that she was crazy and had mental issues but had great calves. I was skeptical until this past week. She went beserk for no apparent reason. Tore up a fence and ran around the pasture in circles in the 100 degree heat. She finally over heated herself and got down. She went and got into the pond and the neighbor thought that she would be ok when she cooled off. She then went into the center of the pasture and laid down and died. :( No one was chasing or harrasing this cow she just flipped out. He said that he had had the vet check her several times when he could catch her and she was always healthy. She was as wild as a deer and always nervous. The question I have is could this be a fluke or genetic? It is wierd because all of her offspring are normal, gentle animals. Has anyone ever seen one snap like this and literaly kill itself? He has a heifer from her that he wants to sell me that looks really great and acts very normal but I am somewhat concerned about buying it in case a problem might skip a generation.

Heat seizures? Scene it happen in horses before. Do just fine until they reach a certain temp and then just trip, stumble fall down like the electricity went out. Once they cooled off the lights came back on. It was a result of a previous encephalomyelitus (spelling) viral infection.

i have never seen one flip out for no apparent reason out in the middle of the pasture like that. surely there was some trigger that caused it. maybe some internal pain. rabid cows flip out like that and get real agressive too. they'll even attack stuff like feed sacks that are just sitting there.

I have seen brahman influenced breeds fret themselves to death before. but there was always something to get them excited.

The strange thing about all this is why :?: the neighbor kept this crazy acting cow around as long as he did. :eek: :shock:

mnmt

I have one - she is locked in the stock trailer as I write. She dies on Monday morning.

She is a great mom and raises a great calf.

She is fine in the field and is not dangerous at all.

She is protective of any calf while in the field.

Try to herd her and she will always run hard in the opposite direction. Through you if necessary.

Put her in the pens, chutes or squeeze and she is Hades on wheels.

She will climb the walls and fall over backwards - continually while in the handling system. I have seen her do this for more than two hours straight.

She will crash any wire fence in her way when we try to herd her - hence my real tall pen walls.

She will charge any cow or calf that is in her way when in the handling system.

She will take a run at anyone in her way when in the handling system.

She has never been mistreated and she has never been sick

She has eyes that are set low on her head and wider than the average cow. A retarded cow.

She broke the leg of a real nice calf today in the pens and that was the final straw. She ran it straight into the pen wall and flipped it several times in the air. This is the same calf that woud sleep right beside her in the field.

When she gets like this she will run at people - even into the pen walls as she tries you on for size.

I managed to put her in the squeeze and left her there all day. She fought it all day - hard.

She is banging the Hades out of the walls of my still fairly decent stock trailer right now. She has been there for nearly 4 hours and is still banging away.

While anyone can walk within 10 feet of her in the field - if she so much as even sees a person - even if almost 100 feet away at the other end of the handling system when we work cattle - she goes absolutely and uncontrollably wild.

Managed to get her caught. She dies on Monday. Good riddance.

Bez?

Was just wondering. Why did you keep her as long as you did? Duz'nt sound like she'd be a good pet.

Bez?":2a23uibz said:
I have one - she is locked in the stock trailer as I write. She dies on Monday morning.

Try to herd her and she will always run hard in the opposite direction. Through you if necessary.

She will climb the walls and fall over backwards - continually while in the handling system. I have seen her do this for more than two hours straight.

She will crash any wire fence in her way when we try to herd her - hence my real tall pen walls.

She has eyes that are set low on her head and wider than the average cow. A retarded cow.

She broke the leg of a real nice calf today in the pens and that was the final straw. She ran it straight into the pen wall and flipped it several times in the air. This is the same calf that woud sleep right beside her in the field.

When she gets like this she will run at people - even into the pen walls as she tries you on for size.

I managed to put her in the squeeze and left her there all day. She fought it all day - hard.

She is banging the Hades out of the walls of my still fairly decent stock trailer right now. She has been there for nearly 4 hours and is still banging away.

While anyone can walk within 10 feet of her in the field - if she so much as even sees a person - even if almost 100 feet away at the other end of the handling system when we work cattle - she goes absolutely and uncontrollably wild.

Bez?
I would definitely have to train my cur dog on her nose before she left.

I think I should apologize. This sounds just like one I sold two years ago. I named her Lucifer. She was out and out evil. I never mistreated her or anything. The REASON I kept her as long as I did was - short of shooting her - I couldn't do anything else with her. Once when I was fixing fence I felt as though someone was watching me. She had come all the way across a field - leaving the herd - to run me. She was nuts and very dangerous. In hind sight I would have been better off killing her when she proved how dangerous she was. The money saved in fixing my gates and coral (3x) would have more than compensated me for what I made off her - and it would be non taxable! So if Lucifer happened to find her way to your farm I'm sorry. It won't happen again. Next time, I'm gonna feed the worms.

Bez? described a cow we had a few years ago, pure retarded. After several attempts of getting her on a trailer; with many bent gates, broken boards, an torn up fences. We finally managed to get her secured in the trailer and she shook the truck all the way to the salebarn beating on the sides and the gate. When we left her she was beating her head against the gate at the salebarn. This cow was born and raised on the farm went crazy at about 2 finally sold her at 3 just plain retarded.

I had a crossbred cow, came with some others I bought in the Fall bred for Spring Calving. She seemed a little strange, always watching me with those wild looking eyes. I didn't like her from the start, but figured I would let her raise the calf to about 400 lbs and sell her for kill.

The day she calved I just went walking up to her like I do with all cows. Anyway when I got about 20 ft away she saw me ang went nuts. I mean she tried to kill me. :shock: Luckily I calve in a open treed type area, the only thing that saved me was the trees, I jumped behind two trees growing about a foot appart, she would'nt give up, kept coming around the trees bellering and slobbering, and I was going through and around the trees just keeping away from her. [Would have made a quite a vidio]

She was known as devil cow, but only for a couple of days. I let the calf get its colestrom. :mad:

Shot her in the side of the head with the 270 Winchester at 250 yards. :lol: Skinned and gutted her, had her proccessed, and sold the hamburger. Bottle fed the calf. :cboy:

mnmt

I have a retarded calf as we speak. I need to put her on the "short bus" to market. She's not retarded in a dangerous way, she is retarded in that she thinks she's a dog or something. Acts kind of like a "mentally slow" bottle feed calf.

I don't like pet cows. I don't like them running up on me. I don't like them to get in my front pocket. Follow a feed bucket yes; but keep a 10 foot distance.

Bez?":84jdzdk5 said:

Bez?

Bez?, Is she a limo by chance? :cboy:

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":3bpsyf9a said:
Bez?":3bpsyf9a said:

Bez?

Bez?, Is she a limo by chance? :cboy:

I wondered if someone would ask.

Limo Herf cross. I have kept her for various reasons despite my strong dislike for the breed as a whole. And despite the arguments about some being fine. She is dynamite and uses det cord for her fuse.

Never again.

Bez?

I had a heifer that liked to knock you down from behind. You would never see her coming. Put me in bed for a week one time. I had had surgery about a week before and she broke open my stitches. I didn't even know she was in the pasture with me, as I was out with the donkeys. She had taken out the gate. Took a while to get her caught, but then it was goodbye Gert!

I guess i bess turn up the heat on my culling for disposition. two crazy cows mentioned on the site both brangus. just as i was breeding in that direction ;-) well if the tigers and simbrah aint done me in maybe the brangus wont

ALACOWMAN":2r0l6wro said:
I guess i bess turn up the heat on my culling for disposition. two crazy cows mentioned on the site both brangus. just as i was breeding in that direction ;-) well if the tigers and simbrah aint done me in maybe the brangus wont

Neigbor bought a Brangus bul some years ago and he was dog gentle and calm as could be. When he died young he went back to the same people and bought the bulls full brother just 2 years younger. He had him less then 6 months and shot him in the pasture. Crazy as a loon. While like tends to breed like, you can never tell when a stray gene pair is going to hook up wrong.

dun

The trouble with these loony cows, they spook other cows when you are trying to work them. I just sold a crazy limo a couple weeks ago, even though we had her locked in the barn and she couldn't escape she ruined 3 good gates loading her.

I don't mind telling you it was scary. And yes, she raised the best durn calf every year. But she made it hard to handle the other cattle.

Had a friend one time that had a crazy cow. She went through many fences and was heading for the interstate. Instead of having a huge lawsuit due to her getting hit by a car, he pulled out the hunting rifle and shot her down on the run. Probably the best thing for everyone. We also had a stray cow that attacked an uncle of mine some years back. He was picking rocks and his tractor tire went flat. He was walking to where someone else was working ground and a cow came out of nowhere and attacked him. He ended up with some broken bones and went into shock. Surprisingly enough no one would claim the cow and the sheriff's dept. took the money when she was sold. It should have gone to pay his bills and the ambulance ride to town!

Pooog1":7iqyynes said:
Had a friend one time that had a crazy cow. She went through many fences and was heading for the interstate. Instead of having a huge lawsuit due to her getting hit by a car, he pulled out the hunting rifle and shot her down on the run. Probably the best thing for everyone. We also had a stray cow that attacked an uncle of mine some years back. He was picking rocks and his tractor tire went flat. He was walking to where someone else was working ground and a cow came out of nowhere and attacked him. He ended up with some broken bones and went into shock. Surprisingly enough no one would claim the cow and the sheriff's dept. took the money when she was sold. It should have gone to pay his bills and the ambulance ride to town!

I think your uncle's family ought to have raised a stink about that!

Latest posts