Melons and Melons and Melons

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC

Reaction score
jubilee.jpg

3melons.jpg

melon1.jpg

MAN! They look good, You know the cheapest we can get them is about .49 a pound, and they sell out quickly.,

mnmtranching":ch92cpy6 said:
MAN! They look good, You know the cheapest we can get them is about .49 a pound, and they sell out quickly.,

I'll sell you every pound I produce for .40 per pound.

Send the truck in about 3 weeks. ;-)

Jogeephus":27r19skx said:
How'd the vines fair after the storm? Did they straighten up on their own?

They never really straightened up they just stayed in a wad and grew some more.................

They lost a lot of blooms though and are putting on more. So many blooms the bees can't keep up.

Musta been some really bad weather. I've tried to train vines before to go where I wanted them to and it seemed the fairies came out at night and moved them back where they wanted them. Good looking patch though. Here, we try and hit the 4th of July market after that prices tend to decline. Looks like your in pretty good shape.

Jogeephus":1iji24o7 said:
Musta been some really bad weather. I've tried to train vines before to go where I wanted them to and it seemed the fairies came out at night and moved them back where they wanted them. Good looking patch though. Here, we try and hit the 4th of July market after that prices tend to decline. Looks like your in pretty good shape.

There was no way to hit the July 4 market here. We had a freeze in the 2nd week of April. The guys who did plant early lost their plants and had to replant.

Might try growing my own plants next year and transplanting.

It takes a minimum of 100 days to make melons, and that is if everything is perfect. No drought, bugs, worms, fungus, etc.

Believe it or not, Labor Day is bigger for melon sales than the 4th. That's what the extension service and the guys at the farmers market tell me anyway.

alabama":3747i3rw said:
They look good Mike. When should I swing through to load up a few?

I'm guessing a few weeks. Better wear your chaps though.

I put down Treflan but the irrigation and hot weather has the "Pigweed" growing like crazy.

Just 3 weeks ago there was not one weed in them......... :roll:

alabama":2apvpwme said:
They look good Mike. When should I swing through to load up a few?

Give them about 2-3 weeks and give me a call.

The "Sugar Baby's" didn't do anything.

Only got "Jubilee II's" and "Crimson Sweets".

You know how to do the "WATERMELON CRAWL"?

Those Jubilees are great. The best ones grow in wet weather and ripen off in the dry.
Watermellon crawl?

alabama":tu7oog99 said:
Those Jubilees are great. The best ones grow in wet weather and ripen off in the dry.
Watermellon crawl?

Yea, they tell me not to water them for two weeks before ripening. Makes "Hollow Heart" and decreases sugar content.

Trouble is......there's a lot of little ones coming on the vines since the storm played havoc on the vines. The little ones need plenty of water to reach the desired size.

In farming there's always a delimma....................

You know the Tracy Byrd song......"Watermelon Crawl".

iowahawkeyes":26yfdf9i said:
They look really good Mike.
I'll try and get some of my patch too.

Thanks, I would really like to know how your seedless crop is doing too!

MikeC":3uw2m7yl said:
mnmtranching":3uw2m7yl said:

I'll sell you every pound I produce for .40 per pound.

Send the truck in about 3 weeks. ;-)

:( Ya know :roll: Wait around until there's melons available closer by and the price drops fast. ;-)

Tab/s":20g5dt3m said:
MikeC":20g5dt3m said:
iowahawkeyes":20g5dt3m said:
They look really good Mike.
I'll try and get some of my patch too.

Thanks, I would really like to know how your seedless crop is doing too!

Mike pictures arn't coming up any help or suggestions as to why.

Thanks Tab/s

Sorry, but I don't.

Latest posts