tell me of grapes and pruning them

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
My grapevine did finally produce a lot of nice sweet grapes, and has now started to kinda dry up and lose a lot of leaves. I planted it along the garden fence, and of course, this being it's 3rd year with no pruning, it's intertwined in the hogwire. I need to replace the fencewire, and raise the vine up on a true set of lines for it to grow on. When, can I start cutting the vine back without harming or killing it?

greybeard":k2qhtb07 said:
My grapevine did finally produce a lot of nice sweet grapes, and has now started to kinda dry up and lose a lot of leaves. I planted it along the garden fence, and of course, this being it's 3rd year with no pruning, it's intertwined in the hogwire. I need to replace the fencewire, and raise the vine up on a true set of lines for it to grow on. When, can I start cutting the vine back without harming or killing it?

people around here trim theirs when they go dormant in the winter.

Got a lot of vineyards around here. We do work on a few. Including building the wire rigs they grow on. I am no expert, not even a little bit.
It seems like three years is when they start really pruning them. They prune them all the way back to rough bark. That's all I know, don't bank on it.

This is a very good place to use any high tensile smooth wire, and wire strainer s you May have..... ;-)

I prune mine whenever I don't like the way they're looking.. Makes no difference to the vine. I pruned some last month because it looked like the grapes were going to be hard to find amongst the foliage. I'll prune them again in the fall when the grapes are all gone.

I can send you a couple of goats my wife has. They are impossible to keep fenced in and they always go after my grapes. They have proven year after year they will keep every lead off it and down to the stem.

Latest posts