Grapes

Help Support CattleToday:

kickinbull

Reaction score
We planted two grapes vines about five years ago. We harvested a good bunch one time. Every other year it gets some fungus and the grapes shrivel up and then leaves drop. We've done the spraying and pruning like they say bit still same. Last summer we went back to my folks farm and saw the most beautiful healthy full of grapes vine ever. Dad planted it 50 years ago. He past away eight years ago so it's had nothing done to it except mowing around it. The canopy was so full. Any ideas?

Sounds like a variety issue to me. Some grapes require a lot of spraying with fungicides. Others don't. What you could do is take your parent's grape vine and take a runner and scratch the bark good and place the scratched part into a pot with potting soil in it and lay a brick on it leaving about a foot or so of the terminal end of the vine sticking out the pot. Keep the pot watered on occasion and this fall the vine will have rooted in the pot. Then just cut this from the mother plant and plant this at your place and you should end up with a care free grape vine.

Jogeephus":2gbxo9ru said:
Sounds like a variety issue to me. Some grapes require a lot of spraying with fungicides. Others don't. What you could do is take your parent's grape vine and take a runner and scratch the bark good and place the scratched part into a pot with potting soil in it and lay a brick on it leaving about a foot or so of the terminal end of the vine sticking out the pot. Keep the pot watered on occasion and this fall the vine will have rooted in the pot. Then just cut this from the mother plant and plant this at your place and you should end up with a care free grape vine.
thanks

Latest posts