Mega Prolapse

Help Support CattleToday:

AngusLimoX

Reaction score
Well, it's time for me to come to the well! Looking for ideas.

Heifer ( commercial ) had a hard calving, after about an hour of hard pulling I pulled a monster dead bull calf out of her.

Dragged the calf out of the way and turned back to see my heifer had turned herself inside out! Prolapse is 4 times the size of the one beefy posted, entire uterus on the ground.

Been trying the sugar trick without much luck. I can't seem to even get a start at tucking it in. ( Gonna wear my AI gloves next attempt, thats for sure, came into the house to get them then remembered my friends in here ). Maybe just my imagination but the sugar did seem to shrink it a bit.

She is making the odd attempt at getting up, but I am not hopeful. Not gonna give up on her, but sun isn't gonna set on her either.

I took some photos of my heifers inside-outside ass just for Caustic if anyone is interested later. :lol:
( Gotta keep laughing,things CAN get worse! ).

Well back at it, will check in here in a couple hours to see if anyone has any other ideas. Sorry if I left any other info out but I am in a rush to get back to the barn. Haven't even fed the feeders yet. And the vet is not an option, the .38 is.

theres onlt 1 thing you can to.an thats wash if off as best you can.get it untwisted as best you can.grabb an emd an start stuffing it back in the heifer as best you can.then get some heavy thread or fishingline with a big needle an sew her back.

My suggestion, call the vet. He can freeze her so she stops pushing, and then it will be a lot easier to put it back. Whatever you do, make sure you get it good and clean, and get someone else over to help. This is one job that is almost impossible for 1 person (been there done that)

Thanks very much for you help Randi and Bigbull.

I did call the vet, she said prolapses are the result of hard pulls or calcium deficiencies. She also gave me a price. I went back out to the barn and the heifer had her head turned back under, was breathing weakly. She has now beaten the rest of the herd to a nice pasture of green grass in the sun.

I know some people will think it gross etc but here are a couple photos of the prolapse and the calf.

I weighed a svelte 227 on the scales, holding the calf I was a jittery 365 -370. So that puts him at about 140. My poor heifer didn't have much of a chance.

prolapseraptors_003.jpg

prolapseraptors_005.jpg

I am not posting the pics to gross people out or offend, I really appreciated beefys photos so I post in hope of maybe helping another cattleman out in future. I know the web is full of info, but I came looking here first. Now looking for a brown wobbly or 2 ! :)

so sorry that you ended up losing the heifer.that is 1 of the bad things about framing is losing cattle.but you got a baby calf to raise 140lbs is a heck of a calf.

AngusLimoX":72x5v64e said:
Well, it's time for me to come to the well! Looking for ideas.

Heifer ( commercial ) had a hard calving, after about an hour of hard pulling I pulled a monster dead bull calf out of her.

Dragged the calf out of the way and turned back to see my heifer had turned herself inside out! Prolapse is 4 times the size of the one beefy posted, entire uterus on the ground.

Been trying the sugar trick without much luck. I can't seem to even get a start at tucking it in. ( Gonna wear my AI gloves next attempt, thats for sure, came into the house to get them then remembered my friends in here ). Maybe just my imagination but the sugar did seem to shrink it a bit.

She is making the odd attempt at getting up, but I am not hopeful. Not gonna give up on her, but sun isn't gonna set on her either.

I took some photos of my heifers inside-outside ass just for Caustic if anyone is interested later. :lol:
( Gotta keep laughing,things CAN get worse! ).

Well back at it, will check in here in a couple hours to see if anyone has any other ideas. Sorry if I left any other info out but I am in a rush to get back to the barn. Haven't even fed the feeders yet. And the vet is not an option, the .38 is.

I would try the vet first she is worth saving as hamburger if you can get her up.
Sounds doubtful if you can get her in a pen and chute wash the prolapse down with cold distilled water and sugar I am not real sure that does anything. Push the prolapse back in stitch her up and pour the antibotics to her.
Does the prolapse look like it has little sticky sponges on it if it does not good.
You might PM Texan, Dun Bez La4 and a host of others.

...just a Satruday night, special...got a barrell that's blue and cold....ain't good for nothing....just put a cow 6 feet in a hole.
Is that Skinnard? with a few modifications.

Eared heifer?
Edit...never mind. I assume she was a angus/limo and certainly not an eared heifer in the great white north.

AngusLimoX":sl1xbn24 said:
Thanks very much for you help Randi and Bigbull.

I did call the vet, she said prolapses are the result of hard pulls or calcium deficiencies. She also gave me a price. I went back out to the barn and the heifer had her head turned back under, was breathing weakly. She has now beaten the rest of the herd to a nice pasture of green grass in the sun.

I know some people will think it gross etc but here are a couple photos of the prolapse and the calf.

I weighed a svelte 227 on the scales, holding the calf I was a jittery 365 -370. So that puts him at about 140. My poor heifer didn't have much of a chance.

I am not posting the pics to gross people out or offend, I really appreciated beefys photos so I post in hope of maybe helping another cattleman out in future. I know the web is full of info, but I came looking here first. Now looking for a brown wobbly or 2 ! :)

Sorry to hear about that. But if her breathing was like that you made the right decision. No point in making her suffer. We had a very similar case with a heifer too, 140 lb calf. She didn't prolapse, but we pinched a nerve. She never got back up.

~

I am sorry for your losses.
It never gets easier in this business.

Thank you for posting those photos.

Makes it easier for folks to see what you are describing.

With over 3,000 members on the board and calving going on all over the place, undoubtedly there are going to be some unusual complications.

Dust off your digital cameras and start taking some photos of what you are experiencing with your cows, calves, steers, bulls and anything else.

A photo is worth a thousand words.

Stay positive.

CowCop":3o8mlefe said:
A photo is worth a thousand words.

You've got that right!

AngusLimoX Sorry for the loss of the pair. Always cruddy when that happens.

Thanks for posting the pics. I too enjoy those detailed shots. I hope the rest of your calving goes without trouble.

Katherine

I tried the sugar trick last season. Vagina sweated like a melting ice cube, but still wasn't able to get it back in. Worked at it for an hour or so and give out. Hauled her to the vet the next day and he stuck it back in in 30 seconds. Slapped stitches in and gave her shots in another 30 seconds. Cost me something like $130 but that cow is still raising her calf and she'll be worth something at the barn come weaning time.

ollie'":38af97iu said:
...just a Satruday night, special...got a barrell that's blue and cold....ain't good for nothing....just put a cow 6 feet in a hole.

No Ollie' Elvis did that song

Sorry for the loss LimoX :(

buckaroo_bif":2hpkqiya said:
ollie'":2hpkqiya said:

No Ollie' Elvis did that song

Sorry for the loss LimoX :(

You're kidding right? Definitely a Skynard classic.

Big learnin day for me, obviously.

Well, we just dropped another. Watched it fall from mammas butt while she stood and wallered. (This momma squats fer nothin, except if you have carrots! ). Beautiful pb heifer calf, suckin within 7 minutes of hittin dirt.

Then I come in here and see these posts and my eyes start waterin and it's time to go. Just one of those days for a small guy in calving season.

Thank you all so much! :D

2 more calves and I sleep tonight!

AngusLimoX":2qok81f9 said:
Big learnin day for me, obviously.

Well, we just dropped another. Watched it fall from mammas butt while she stood and wallered. (This momma squats fer nothin, except if you have carrots! ). Beautiful pb heifer calf, suckin within 7 minutes of hittin dirt.

Then I come in here and see these posts and my eyes start waterin and it's time to go. Just one of those days for a small guy in calving season.

Thank you all so much! :D

2 more calves and I sleep tonight!

Carrots ?

Latest posts