McCormick CX 105 Tractor, Shifter Problem

Help Support CattleToday:

PAaugus

Reaction score
Hi, Friend has a McCormick CX105 tractor, he was planting wheat and he got out to move a rock off the field. When he got back in, he said he had no 1 st or 2 nd gears. ( I don't know the tractor well, but it appears it has 4 ranges, then 4 speeds, plus a F/R shuttle Plus High Low ?? ) The lever on top the transmission is moving back and forth, but feels like it has no resistance to it. Like a key or the shifter fork has come loose/ broke. Has anybody run into this ? Can you remove the seat and work down thru the top of the transmission, or does the tractor need split. We are ordering the CD they sell on eBay, but the fellow on Ebay states he out of town till Nov 18th. Thanks

first I would look under the shifter .a pin could slide out and cause that.

Yes quite often that sort of problem can be fixed from the top where the end of the shift lever moves through slot on the shafts to select the gears and with wear it can jump and just be in no man's land and you can lever them back and replace the lever in the correct gear.
If he is unlucky a locating pin on the blocks on the shaft may have broken and this might necessitate gettin into the gearbox and that means splitting it.
I had an old grey fergie I used to keep the two bolts holding the shift lever on just finger tight as the end of the lever would jump out and it would only take a minute to fix it.
Ken

Yes quite often that sort of problem can be fixed from the top where the end of the shift lever moves through slot on the shafts to select the gears and with wear it can jump and just be in no man's land and you can lever them back and replace the lever in the correct gear.
If he is unlucky a locating pin on the blocks on the shaft may have broken and this might necessitate gettin into the gearbox and that means splitting it.
I had an old grey fergie I used to keep the two bolts holding the shift lever on just finger tight as the end of the lever would jump out and it would only take a minute to fix it.
Ken
How did you fix it? have the same problem.

Ken
How did you get it to go back?

Hmm ok thank you, having a hard time sliding the lever back into place.

Latest posts