MaxQ Fescue

Help Support CattleToday:

bncsimps

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to establish brand new pasture.
I've noticed a big price difference in MaxQ and plain Ky 31. Is is worth the extra cost to go with MaXQ?
I'm looking foward to reading your repliest. Thanks

If you have no KY31 around and don;t feed any KY31 hay, it may be well worth it. The higher weaights and less of a summer slump makes it a pretty good idea. But, if you have KY31 around or feed KY31 hay, it's pretty much a waste of money since the KY31 will take over the MaxQ eventually. I prefer using KY31 and seeding legumes into it.

Dun, I'm guessing that you meant that K31 will win in the battle for space and out live the Max Q?? Alot of people worry and claim that the endophyte from K31 will infect endophyte-free or friendly-endophyte fescues but from what I've read, this is impossible.

I do believe that an endophyte free wouldn't out live the competition from K31 but what do you base your answer on for MaxQ because they claim that it's just as hardy as K31??

Although we live in Fescue Country in Southeast Missouri, we haven't noticed any fescue in our new pasture so we went ahead and put out some MaxQ seed, I think it's just starting to germinate now... I can't wait to see how it does.

I wanted to seed some endophyte free fescue into existing K 31 pastures this fall, but was told by the seed supplier that it wouldn't be able to compete with the K 31. That it would just get shouldered aside by the more robust K 31 plants. Also that it was expensive and that my money would be better spent on establishing more clover instead. Everybody tells me, if there is K 31 on the other side of the fence, or if you feed K 31 hay in a pasture, that is what you are going to wind up with. Even your mower, baler or bush hog can bring in the seeds and ruin your stand.

I'm going with red clover.

Yeah Steve, the endophyte is what helps fescue to do so well so if you just take out the endophyte, it's not as hardy of a grass. What MaxQ has is another endophyte that doesn't seem to have any negative effects on cattle or horses. If I had a good fescue field I probably would just add clovers too (ladino and red). Most people here say not to plant red in pasture because it can't handle grazing but we rotationally graze so it has plenty of time to recoop.

wstevenl":3q1w0ito said:
Dun, I'm guessing that you meant that K31 will win in the battle for space and out live the Max Q??

Correct. The KY31, no matter what the proponents of MaxQ say, is harider and more of an invader/dominator. I only know of a ocuplew of people in this area that planted MaxQ, they now regret the expense. I don;t know how on can look at the stuff and tell which is which, but it's claimed that the KY31 has taken over their priced MaxQ fields.

hhhmmm, I believe that lab tests would be necessary to tell the difference.

I talked with a MaxQ salesman/agronomist who claimed that the cows can actually differentiate between the MaxQ and the Ky31 (I didn't understand HOW) and that if the the two are in the same field they will eat the MaxQ over the KY31. With less grazing pressure the KY31 will take over the stand completely in just a couple of years.

Latest posts