Maximizing your grazing

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
I thought some of you might find this interesting. This "corner post" was drilled so as to pass the wire completely through the tree. I don't why the fella did it this way other than to use every inch of his land. With the exception of the top wire, the wire was passed through the tree and many many feet of the wire was pulled through the tree to make the run. I can only imagine how time consuming this was. But hey, to each their own - right?

IMG_3157.jpg

ga. prime":3bhdni3z said:
You don't think he pulled the wire around the tree and then the tree grew around the wire?

That is what is normally done but his neighbor pointed it out to me and said he watched him drill the holes in the tree. He said the fella is a nice guy but different and has his own ideas about things.

I have had the situation come up while building a fence for a guy. The man wanted ever square inch that was on his deed. The neighbor would not let any one touch the tree. I had to put "H" braces on each side. We did a repeat of this several times down the fence line. All clearing had to be done by hand, for fear that we would damage something with a dozer that belonged to the neighbor.

I don,t think he is playing with a full deck !! Also I hate trees being anywhere near a fence I like to doze everything within 50' but I guess to each his own

and by the way Jo how is the down breeding coming I have bee keeping my eyes open for new prospect for our Imbalancers

I luv herfrds":1n6pzrqt said:
Just wondering what he is going to do as that tree gets taller. :?

:???: ILH, if you are implying the wire is going to be higher as the tree grows, it won't. The wire will be at the same height it is now 20 years from now (baring intervention by a chainsaw or lighting :) ). Think about how a tree grows. Trees grow from the top (new growth is added to old growth at the top not the bottom). If a young tree puts out a limb at head knocking height, 50 years from now it will still be at head knocking height (again baring me and my chainsaw), maybe a bit lower because they do get bigger around.

That looks like a ponderosa pine... and it is probably already fairly tall right Jo?
I have used trees as big around as a post to put my wire around then cut off the top.

Limomike":3tqvll2z said:
That looks like a ponderosa pine... and it is probably already fairly tall right Jo?
I have used trees as big around as a post to put my wire around then cut off the top.

Why top the tree, it only kills it and starts the decay process.

Angus Cowman":1pffkpiv said:
I don,t think he is playing with a full deck !!

grannysoo":1pffkpiv said:
Sounds to me like he had too much time on his hands.

Exactly my thoughts. All he had to do was tie in to his neighbors corner. They would not have objected in the least. I think he's just showing his independence.

Jogeephus":sh7pjjy7 said:
Exactly my thoughts. All he had to do was tie in to his neighbors corner. They would not have objected in the least. I think he's just showing his independence.

HMMMM, I've never seen stupidity spelled "independence" before

dun":1b1k5wrs said:
Jogeephus":1b1k5wrs said:

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: Dun, you must have seen his new fence. Brand new t-posts, brand new 5 strand wire, locked down by 50 year old rotten railroad ties as corner posts some of which you can see right through. Now that IS stupid.

Jogeephus":2dsdeihy said:
dun":2dsdeihy said:
Jogeephus":2dsdeihy said:

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: Dun, you must have seen his new fence. Brand new t-posts, brand new 5 strand wire, locked down by 50 year old rotten railroad ties as corner posts some of which you can see right through. Now that IS stupid.

Maybe he's trying to "out dumb" his cows

We cleared fence in front of the house that had hackberry trees all throughout. In fact, you could not see the house from the road for all the briars and trash trees. Of course, the trees had absorbed the barbed wire. Kind of a chainsaw nightmare. Hard work.

Lammie":14dzdy5w said:
We cleared fence in front of the house that had hackberry trees all throughout. In fact, you could not see the house from the road for all the briars and trash trees. Of course, the trees had absorbed the barbed wire. Kind of a chainsaw nightmare. Hard work.
:lol: I've got a 500 foot or so stretch of fence like that. Most of the post are rotted off but their are enough hackberry trees to compensate. It is and partition fence so not a big problem and maks good shade and windbreak.

HMMMM, I've never seen stupidity spelled "independence" before[/quote]

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: Dun, you must have seen his new fence. Brand new t-posts, brand new 5 strand wire, locked down by 50 year old rotten railroad ties as corner posts some of which you can see right through. Now that IS stupid.[/quote]

Maybe he's trying to "out dumb" his cows[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: Thats funny stuff there!