Mature Weight, Frame Score and Good Thickness and Capacity

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley":m6mfu9cj said:
Aaron":m6mfu9cj said:
A frame 5 - 1200 lb cow is run of the mill in my opinion. I would prefer them to be closer to 1400 to be really ideal. But in order to do that, we are talking about different types of cows. I like them to be double-wide, long as a freight train and deeper than Romney's pockets. :cowboy:
I agree. Most of my more modern cows are much more moderate framed than what we used to raise. Most will range between 5 - 6, averaging 1600# - that's what we look for.
What do these cows weigh at a bcs of 5.5-6?

ALACOWMAN":1cvlv6pf said:
houstoncutter":1cvlv6pf said:
No plow, overseeded in fall with fertilzer and ryegrass and I feed clover seed in mineral year round. I assume you fertilize your range grasses, but perhaps not.

Our summer and fall grasses are of poor quality, compared to many other parts of the country. To achieve a high weaning weight percentage without a lot of imputs is not possible. Having said that, my counterparts in the northern states are having great grass quality at that time. They shoul have no problem achieving at least 55 to 60 % weaning weight ratios if they are using the proper type of animals.
As for frame who cares, I personally want a functional 1200 lb cow, and its going to be a a F1 Brahman type animal. I personally love the use of hybrid vigor in cattle. Its one of the few freebies we get in the cattle biz
thats one i never thought about.....

We don't get enough rain for it to work here, but I know of places where it works very well. I believe that according to trials made arrowleaf clover seeds worked best.

Massey - I have extremely good pastures & decent baleage (put up later than dairymen, so it's a bit courser - but always good). Unlike popular concensus - my cattle are extremely easy keepers. They will tend to be in better BCS than Southern states' cattle. My mature cows probably will average 6 - 6.5 BCS thru-out the year. My 3 yr old will be my thinnest cattle (raising their 2nd calf) and may get down to 5 BCS.
To add to what Knersie said - it is a lot harder for PB cattle to achieve the % WW compared to crossbred calves. Anyone raising cattle for the pounds produced are a fool to breed straightbred cattle.
It all boils down to PROFIT. My cows may not consistantly raise 60% of the body weight, but I sure will venture to guess that they make me more $$$$. And like Doc says, it's all in the $$$.
And the large cow vs small cow theory is a bit fuzzy in research. More and more reports indicate "too small" is not profitable. I don't have any saved on my computer to share with you.

6 yr old weighed 1660# at time of pic - was nursing a 2 month old calf. 5.5 - 6 frame - BCS 5.5 - 6
Gina3115smpix.jpg

11 year old, frame 5, 1775#, ? 6 BCS
K1-1pix.jpg

These cows are all under a frame 5 and all over 1400 lbs in this pic, BCS no more than 5.5
heavies.jpg

This cow is a second calver in this pic with a 6 month old bull calf on veld (range) What you see is what she can graze, no supplements, not even salt and she weans 50+% of her own weight every year. Slightly different from from rye grass and clover pasture, don't you think?
RobertsonVeldbeeskampioen2008.jpg

Second calver with her 7 month old bullcalf on irrigated rye grass pasture.
100_5104.jpg

Second calver on very good veld with 6 month old heifer calf, our veld seldom get this good, still very acidic though with pH 3.5-5.2
IMG_7294.jpg

Just for shyts and giggles, a frame 4.5 cow in BCS 6 weighing 1500 lbs in that condition, she was obviously on planted pasture as she was getting readied for a show.
IMG_7100.jpg

That is a funny pic.

These sure are some sharp looking cows Jeanne. I like that bottom cow a lot. Ideal proportion of body to leg imo. Id like to merge them and give the bottom cow the top one's tailhead and hip set and she'd be perfect. She is closer to a high 7bcs than a 5 though.

If anyone has a pic of a 1600lb cows that is 52 inches at the hip and in a bcs of 5 id sure like to see it. I've only ever seen one. It was a shorthorn cows that I think I could have slept on her back she was so wide. might have been 52" tall.

ALACOWMAN":yw6377io said:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_N7OL3jp71F0/TE-OOF2bOtI/AAAAAAAAAQc/CqlIouVgH3w/s1600/fat-cow.jpg
We had a couple of cows this year that felt like that before they calved

Latest posts