Math Question

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence said:
Your trying to figure out how much water fits in one of those big plastic totes. It's stamped on the side.
Only that's for 8 pound water, I don't know about 6 pound water.

That's rounded down as well on that 8lb water.

Brute 23 said:
Are you trying to figure how much water you can haul to your hidden marijuana plants down by the creek?

That's what I was getting at in my post haha. Didn't want to call him out

Kingfisher said:
Thanks for the replies. I'm trying to keep a plum tree alive :)

Be cheaper to just buy the jelly.
I planted 50 Chickasaw plums about 20 years ago. Deer ate 49 to the ground.
Still have one left, bears well but must be guarded 24 hours a day in fruit.
It takes a Jack Russell and a shotgun to keep the squirrel and coons from getting everyone.

callmefence said:
Caustic Burno said:
callmefence said:
Your trying to figure out how much water fits in one of those big plastic totes. It's stamped on the side.
Only that's for 8 pound water, I don't know about 6 pound water.

That's rounded down as well on that 8lb water.

8 tenths I believe, or is it 8 ounces

I would have to look it up, I just remember it's a little over 8 lb.
I always round down as well just makes the math easier.

Thought you were trying to see who is smarter than the cattle we keep.

PS with your imperial system, things are just a mess....how come your not using pounds and shillings for money 😀😀😀

greggy said:
Thought you were trying to see who is smarter than the cattle we keep.

PS with your imperial system, things are just a mess....how come your not using pounds and shillings for money 😀😀😀

That is the only good thing we kept from the monarchy.

So much easier working in multiples of 10 whether area, weight, volume etc....

Our rain is in milimeters....our area is in metres squared for smaller areas, so...

If you have 100m 2 of roof space on a shed.... 10m x 10m... roughly 22ft....

10 x 10 is 100.....1mm of rain on roof is 100 litres....

Only has odd amounts when calcing weight in a set volume of material... x y or z.... except for water...which is easy... 1l is 1kg

Kingfisher said:
Thanks for the replies. I'm trying to keep a plum tree alive :)

Build a mote app. 2 ft diameter around it that will hold water and pour a 5 gallon bucket of water into it once a week during dry times OR if you don't want to make a mote, drill a small hole in the side near the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket and set it filled with water beside the tree once a week and let it drain out. Hole should be small enough that it takes 4 or 5 minutes to drain. I've been successfully watering trees both ways for 40+ years and either way works.

https://www.amazon.com/Treegator-Original-Watering-Tree-Gator/dp/B018WM6JRU/ref=asc_df_B018WM6JRU/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198092200243&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12254115331324397828&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9013116&hvtargid=pla-349205931800&psc=1

A gallon weighs 8.354 pounds. 3ft x 3ft x1inch would weigh 6.76 pounds. It would be .81 gallons.

What about boring a hole, or if planting, put a foot long length of sewer size pipe in ground....and a similar size above, drill some small weep holes in pipe below ground, put a cap...fill it......or even put a fitting and connect to something to hold more water....like an ibc....could prob water a lot like that with some plumbing...

darcelina4 said:
A gallon weighs 8.354 pounds. 3ft x 3ft x1inch would weigh 6.76 pounds. It would be .81 gallons.

NO. You need to balance your equation or something. One gallon of water weighs 8.34 pounds (not 8.354, but that is insignificant)

Using your method the answer is:

3'x3'x1" or 36"x36"x1" = 1296 cubic inches

There are 1728 inches in a cubic foot, and a cubic foot of water is 7.48 gallons; therefore 1296 cubic inches is 75% of a cubic foot. ((1296/1728) x 100 = 75%)

75% of 7.48 gallons = 5.61 gallons

Latest posts