Mastitis?

Help Support CattleToday:

Tealduck

Reaction score
I have a 6 yr old cow due to calve June 9 and as I was handling her today i noticed her hind right quarter has a slight firmness to it but not hard. No heat, obviously no pain since she didn't try to kick me when I was milking her to see if anything would come out. Thick yellow stuff comes out with no blood and no smell. I've dealt with mastitis in lactating cows but I don't know what to make of this. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Tealduck":17zxddeq said:
I have a 6 yr old cow due to calve June 9 and as I was handling her today i noticed her hind right quarter has a slight firmness to it but not hard. No heat, obviously no pain since she didn't try to kick me when I was milking her to see if anything would come out. Thick yellow stuff comes out with no blood and no smell. I've dealt with mastitis in lactating cows but I don't know what to make of this. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.
First of all, why are you trying to milk anything out. That yellow thick stuff is colostrum. Now that you;ve opened it up you ight want to keep an eye on that quarter to make sure she DOESN'T get mastitis.

She had never developed firmness in her any of her quarters like this before when she was sacking up for a calf so it caused me concern. That is why I was seeing what would come out. I used to milk this cow so I know what is normal for her.

Could be dry cow mastitis, Dun. It seems a bit early for colostrum.

For checking dry cow mastitis (not everyone knows this): you see a cow with a firm udder/quarter so bring her in - the affected quarters will either feel *much* firmer than the others or have a palpable lump. If the firmness/heat isn't diagnostic of mastitis, roll the teat gently between your fingers (without drawing milk). If you can feel lumps inside the teat it's mastitis, strip the quarter out. Don't touch unaffected quarters.
Use a lactating cow antibiotic up the teat and strip the quarter daily (or 2x daily if you're keen) until only clear lump-free fluid is produced. For most cows this is 2 - 4 days.

The risk period is 2 - 4 weeks after drying off, and in cows that haven't been treated with dry cow therapy. There might be a few observed later than 4 weeks but it would be unusual, at 2 - 3 weeks some cows also have firmness remaining from the previous lactation. Don't strip to check *unless* you can feel those lumps in the teat.
Catch it early there's probably little pain. Left a couple of days longer the soft goop turns ropey and almost every cow will kick and stamp rather than let you strip it out.
The 'thick yellow stuff' would be like thick custard if it's mastitis rather than colostrum, and nearly always has visible flecks or looks curdled.

Latest posts