Mastitis

Help Support CattleToday:

sdt

Reaction score
I have a 10 year old cow that I think has Mastitis in one quarter .I gave her two shots of LA200 3 days apart, recomended by a vet over the phone,her milk went from brown with a foul smell to bloody water in 4 days .I called Southern States Farm Supply and they had some Today mastitis treatment ,gave two doses of this in 24 hour period. The first day I noticed this problem I started milking her by hand getting a little over a quart at a time ,by the time I treated her with the Today I could barly get a cup of bloody water,I gave up and left her alone .Three days later tried again ,back to getting about quart or more of brown foul smelling milk :mad: :x :Anyone ever seen this before???????? There are no vets that will take farm calls in my area,to many dogs&cats I guess. Thanks for any help Steve :shock: I forgot to say the cow had twins :eek:

Yeah - seen it before - many times. You've now got a three-quarter cow. When they get to that point they won't ever give milk from that quarter again. Depending on her milking ability she may be able to raise the calves off three quarters just fine.

Will that quarter dry up or should I keep milking her out ? by the way Happy Easter to all ! thanks for your help

If you are getting bloody milk out and the nasty make ya wanna puke stuff too that quarter is done. Treat it and leave it be. Make sure to moitor the cow and calf for any fever or other signs of sickness as well.

Should I treat her with Today again or do you have any outher treatment recomendations? thanks

Had a vet here tell me that LA200 does not work for mastitis because it won't work into the udder. Sdt says vet recommended it in this case. Now I don't know what to think. Does anyone know more about this?

One of the local dairymen gives 5 cc of the nasty milk fresh from that guarter as an IM injection twice a day. Usually clears up in a couple of days. The thory is that it kicks the immune system in to fight the infection. As a side point there is no witholding on the milk from the other quarters like there is with antibiotics

dun

Farmhand":1pefv7kc said:
Had a vet here tell me that LA200 does not work for mastitis because it won't work into the udder. Sdt says vet recommended it in this case. Now I don't know what to think. Does anyone know more about this?
I dont think the vet I called was to intrested in helping me .I wounder if he told me LA200 just to get rid of me.I will not ever call him again was not helpfull at all.I take my dog to him,not ever again he left a bad impression on me. :mad:

sdt":11b2fkxi said:
I dont think the vet I called was to intrested in helping me .I wounder if he told me LA200 just to get rid of me.I will not ever call him again was not helpfull at all.I take my dog to him,not ever again he left a bad impression on me. :mad:

Make sure you make it very clear why you will not be using his services any more.

dun":m9sxo7bf said:
One of the local dairymen gives 5 cc of the nasty milk fresh from that guarter as an IM injection twice a day. Usually clears up in a couple of days. The thory is that it kicks the immune system in to fight the infection. As a side point there is no witholding on the milk from the other quarters like there is with antibiotics

dun

learn something new every day :idea: never heard of giving a cow a shot of its own milk.. :shock:

jt

Haven't heard of that one either.

If the only thing you can get from that quarter is clear liquid, the quarter will be fine if you leave it alone. It will probably dry up in a few weeks and eventually shrink up to where it's not very noticable. You may want to check it every now and again to make sure she doesn't have an infection in there, and if she does, strip it out.

Now, if she has chunks and an obvious infection (like you're stripping out thick yellowish gunk), then you'd want to strip it out at least once a day, or the quarter will likely swell up, abcess, and drain (nasty). I know of one cow who developed mastitis and wouldn't let me touch that quarter (I have the scars on my hand to prove it), and when she calved that side of her bag swelled up to her hocks - the other side barely gives any milk, and isn't even half the size of the infected side. It looks really strange, and I'm sure a calf would have a hard time figuring out how to nurse that udder.

I did hear of one dairy farmer saying a vet suggested he inject formaldahyde (sp?) up into the infected quarter. Apparently he does it on a regular basis to cows who have such severe mastitis that the quarter can't possibly recover, and it dries that quarter off. He says it works; I haven't seen any cows treated that way so I don't know.

Holy cow you would think this cow was old Belle from the little creamary in Brenham. Cows get mastitits catch the old cow and milk her down, if the teat is blown and she is going to be bell teated haul her to the salebarn when she dries up. Heck canner and cutters are bringing good money right now.

We sell any cows with mastitis after their calf is weaned. Once they get this stuff it's only a matter of time before the rest of the quarters get it too. You generally don't know how much mastitis she has until her calf is on the ground. Don't want to end up with a bottle calf that way. Plus mastitis is pretty sore for the momma too. The thing is you do need to try to do something about the mastitis she has now until you wean the calf and can sell her. We lost a cow once to mastitis and milk fever. Follow milkmaid's advice on what to do for her.

milkmaid":37gwqub5 said:
I did hear of one dairy farmer saying a vet suggested he inject formaldahyde (sp?) up into the infected quarter.

What would the milk withholding be on that? :shock:

any youn's had any experience with vaccines for coliform mastitis?
it's relatively knew from what i have read about it.
and is mastitis brought on by too much rich feed possibly? :roll:
bif

What would the milk withholding be on that? :shock:

No idea. LOL. I'd be a little reluctant to try it - but then, I'd be reluctant to give a cow a shot of her own infected milk, too. One of those things where I think I'll let someone else try it on their animals where I can witness the results, and then I'll make my decision.

Latest posts