Mastitis testing

Help Support CattleToday:

Bayoucowgirl

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me about the procedure for checking a cow for mastitus and any other disease that one should check for before keeping the milk from a cow for human consumption. I called the vet but he will be gone for a week. Can I just collect a sample of the milk and carry to a vet or must the vet draw blood or something?

I've never checked for much more than that all quarters were good - no chunks or nasty clumps in the milk (mastitis) and that the cow had a bangs tag/tattoo in her ear. Other than that, if she's healthy I don't mind drinking her milk raw.

There is a test referred to as CMT (California Mastitis Test). You milk a little into each section of a special paddle type of thing and add a regent to the milk. That's the easiest method I know of. I was surprised the other day when they broke out the CMT to check one particular cow.

dun

where did you get the cow from. if you are going to drink raw milk from her, make sure she does't have the germs for undulant fever (brucellosis). we used to pasteurize ours