Massey Model 3 square bailer won't tie

Help Support CattleToday:

rditz

Reaction score
Hi, I just registered and joined this forum. I am new to farming equipment and need some help to know if i am going in the right direction.

I picked up a Massey Model 3 Square Bailer for a song, it packs the hay in there pretty good, but when tying the string, one side doesn't quite finish the knot (seems to be only half the knot of the other side).

I figure that these things were made to fix in the field with simple tools, so I guess I'm just not seeing what I need to adjust or fix.

My father-in-law (previous owner) said it worked great the last time he used it up until the last wind-row and it started doing this. Again, makes me think that it has got to be something simple.

help and advise to know what to look for and tips on adjusting would be greatly appreciated.

Rod

I had a similar problem and most of the trouble was in the finger tucker. It may not be putting the string in the right place at the right time. I'm not familiar with that model but most work similar. Best bet is to get someone who has some experience with square balers and have them check it out. I have a JD 214T and when it works it is great but when it screws up I would like to set a fire under it.
Fred

Just a guess, but probably the billhook. Looks like a bird beak. If it is bent, broken, or the tension nut fell off, it won't hold the twine long enough to finish the knot.

dyates,

i did notice that there is a tensioner that was loose compared to the other (the other that was actually tying ok) and did tighten it. i don't see anything broken or bent, so maybe i need more tension...

thanks

rod

Rod, see if ebay has a manual for your model. Go over ALL the knotter adjustments with a fine tooth comb. My experience is proper adjustment here will make it tie like new again. Of course if there are parts that are bad or worn to the point they won't adjust then they will need replacing. I say adjustments first and then look for problems. I have had to actually take a 24 inch pipe wrench and bend things to make them come back into adjustment. Just make sure you are adjusting correctly before you bend anything.

thanks for the advise, I don't see anything obviously wrong, but then again, i don't know what i am looking for... but one side ties, the other doesn't so i will try to mimic what is working...

but will definitely look for a manual.

thanks

rod

rditz":1vdq6k9e said:
thanks for the advise, I don't see anything obviously wrong, but then again, i don't know what i am looking for... but one side ties, the other doesn't so i will try to mimic what is working...

but will definitely look for a manual.

thanks

rod

I put my really old NH 273 away one year. Next year it wouldn't tie a single knot. That was the year I started from the beginning and went through all the knotter adjustments. It tied the first bale I put through it and until I hauled it to the scrap yard a month ago, it never missed another.

Good luck with yours.

I have a Massey Ferguson 120 that I broke a bill hook on last year. I finally got the part in and on but havent gotten to use it yet. I do have a manual on it but don't know if it's the same as yours or not. I can tell you this...a lot of those parts are obsolete and you just can't get them anymore. I paid $306 for a bill hook. I broke down and bought a case international. Where are you, I have a 120 for sale.

Rc,

thanks, I understand that parts may be difficult to get, but I got such a sweet deal on the baler that I had to take it...

Anyways, i got the baler working this weekend and we got our first 60 bales done and picked off the field.

my problem ended up being a spring that provided tension for a "finger". it had accummulating debris in the sspring, thus stretching it out enough that there was no tension on the finger. this translated into a half tied knot. it worked flawlessly after that was fixed....

I am in Ontario Canada.. a little too far to buy a baler from where you are.

rod

If the heat keeps up here a trip to Canada might be nice. If you think the balers are similar I will be glad to help with some copies of the manual. Glad you got it working, nothing more frustrating than being broke down in the field.

my challenge now is understanding and setting the density of the bales. I have been breaking shear pins while I experiment with that.

that would be great if you can scan and email a copy of service manuals...

thanks

rod

The shearing of pins generally has nothing to do with the density of the bale, but rather the amount of hay you are trying to push through the baler on each stroke of the plunger. Either rake up smaller windrows or drive slower. This is the biggest downside to the old, small square balers. They will do the job just as well...only slower. If you ever see the least little amount of hay pushing in front of the pickup, slow down. It may also be that you aren't running your tractor fast enough to get your pto speed to 540.

dyates,

being new to all of this, all of what you said is probably true.. I stopped by the local MF dealer and bought a handful of pins and hopefully will get a better "feel" for how to do this...

thanks

rod

Latest posts