Massey Ferguson - Simpson?

Help Support CattleToday:

James T

Reaction score
I had a MF 175 for years and it had that reliable Perkins diesel engine. Just noticed a MF ad for a 74 hp tractor but it looks like they have gotten rid of the Perkins in favor of something called a Simpson diesel. AGCO really made some changes! The Simpson is made in India although Perkins licensed its design to them. Not sure it's the same engine. That 74 hp Simpson is only putting out 44.7 PTO hp. Maybe same engine but different power transfer?

If the Perkins is gone, I wonder how long ago it left. If they don't have the Perkins any more, they lost me as a customer.

Bigfoot":1298d0jh said:
If the Perkins is gone, I wonder how long ago it left. If they don't have the Perkins any more, they lost me as a customer.
Me too , I've had 4 Masseys with Perkins diesels (still have 2) they are hard to beat , I have a 135 with over 7000 hours that was never opened up , it runs good and doesn't use any oil , other than rebuilding the injector pump nothing was done to the motor . They are economical and have good lugging power .

Are you sure it's Simpson? I believe Agco is using Sisu engines (which are made in India) in alot if not all thier tractors, no matter what the nameplate on it is. They have been using them for a few years now. Haven't heard anything bad about them yet. I agree though, losing the Perkins powerplant is a bit disappointing. I have a 275 Massey as my main tractor and the fuel economy can't be beat.

shorty":3uajxk2k said:
Bigfoot":3uajxk2k said:
Me too , I've had 4 Masseys with Perkins diesels (still have 2) they are hard to beat , I have a 135 with over 7000 hours that was never opened up , it runs good and doesn't use any oil , other than rebuilding the injector pump nothing was done to the motor . They are economical and have good lugging power .

I have a 77 model 265 with over 6000 hours on it I changed the water pump out this year cost 60 buck's.
I had the injectors rebuilt several years ago and that's it. Just got off of it a little while ago still after 35 years just point at it and she fires right up.

I just realized by the time this engine change reaches me, it will have been out for 20 years. Should be plenty of info out by then.

This advertisement for the MF 2600 says Simpson diesel, 74 engine hp and 44.7 PTO hp. Checked the MF website and they still have the Perkins for the next level up of HP. That 175 we have in the family is still running. Other things might fall off but that Perkins still cranks and starts. Anyway, not sure about the Simpson but if I had to buy a used utility tractor I might want to hunt down a Perkins. Didn't know this but it looks like Perkins also supplied engines for Dodge trucks prior to the Cummins engines!

The 2635 Massey is 74hp with 60pto hp and a simpson engine. Massey also makes the 2650HD that is a 74hp with 67pto hp and a perkins engine. Most tractor companies have started building what I call their weekend warrior line of tractors. You just can't go by hp now. They all make a cheaper version.

Simpson makes engines under a Perkins Lic. And yes, Cat bought Perkins in 1998.

Simpson & Co. Ltd. is a Chennai, India based manufacturer of agricultural engines, and is a unit of the Amalgamations Group. Simpson supplies its Perkins-licensed/based engines to its sister company, TAFE, manufacturer of TAFE and Massey Ferguson tractors.
Simpson & Co. began in 1840, and moved into engine production in 1955 when it licensed Perkins engines. Simpsons has two manufacturing facilities - at Anna Salai and Sembiam, Chennai India.

I have two older tractors with the old perkins engines in them and you could not buy them with money best tractor I think you can buy I got 2010 with the new engine I wish some one would steal it. Its junk it seems like every other day its in the shop its a 2660 and its the biggest mistake I have made in a while.

Latest posts