Marketing F1 Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

nap

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm fairly new to the board but I thought you guys could give me some advice. I have been breeding registered Brahman cattle for several years and during that time have used bulls of various breeds to cross on them with varying success. Lately, I have purchased 23 registered Hereford heifers bred to a hereford bull. My question is what would be the best approach to market the Hereford-Brahman crosses when the time comes. We will certify the calves as F1s. I think the heifers should be fairly easy to sell, I'm more concerned about the bulls. Should I castrate hem and sell them as stockers or should I leave them intact and sell them as herd sire prospects. At what age should I market them? Another question is what would be the best way to advertise these cattle? We belong to the QSA program which identifies birth dates and place of origin. These will be good value-added cattle which I would very much like to get to the right buyer. Are there good web sites for this type of sale? If anyone out there can lend their wisdom to this problem I would very much like to hear it. Thanks for your help.

I am not sure about the Bulls but I have a friend that sells F-1'S for about $1200 that are heavy Bred. I think they are Brahma bull on Angus cows and he sells out every year just by word of mouth. I agree this is a better profit for this compared to a cow/calf operation were a yearling calf might bring $ 800 for feedlot prices.

the bulls you want to cut an sell as steers.but honestlly i dont know much about selling burford bulls.but i would suggest that you use a hereford bull on the herefords every other year.to get fullblood herefords to put in your cowherd.so you can keep your pure stock up.

By all means castate the bull calves. You might look into the Brahman-influence market sale held at the Hills Prarie Livestock market. They have these special sales several times a year.

nap":sou7bjea said:
Hi,
I'm fairly new to the board but I thought you guys could give me some advice. I have been breeding registered Brahman cattle for several years and during that time have used bulls of various breeds to cross on them with varying success. Lately, I have purchased 23 registered Hereford heifers bred to a hereford bull. My question is what would be the best approach to market the Hereford-Brahman crosses when the time comes. We will certify the calves as F1s. I think the heifers should be fairly easy to sell, I'm more concerned about the bulls. Should I castrate hem and sell them as stockers or should I leave them intact and sell them as herd sire prospects. At what age should I market them? Another question is what would be the best way to advertise these cattle? We belong to the QSA program which identifies birth dates and place of origin. These will be good value-added cattle which I would very much like to get to the right buyer. Are there good web sites for this type of sale? If anyone out there can lend their wisdom to this problem I would very much like to hear it. Thanks for your help.

If your are in the Certified Golden program you can market your heifers at Sealy Texas every year, they always bring a premium there.

I'll second that! Contact ABBA and ask about consigning to the F1 sale in Sealy.. it's the best one in Texas, and they get premium prices for the females that go through. It's held the end of April. If that time doesn't work for you, there are quite a few Brahman sales throughout the year that are happy to get Golden Certified heifers.

I'd also castrate the bull calves. What you make on the heifers will more than make up for the cut you'll take at the auction barn for the "eared" bull calves.

Latest posts