Market report

Help Support CattleToday:

brierpatch1974

Reaction score
I just got a copy of last weeks market report. Cattle holding around the same for this market which isnt the highest selling market in my area but steady. But I about died when I saw what the price of lambs are.

"" Lambs 85-100 pounds 62 head $170-$176. 75 pounds 16 head $186.50. 50-65 pounds 48 head $174-$190. 40pounds 15 head $149-$233. Ewe Lambs 21 head 70-82 pounds $229-$230 ""

Maybe I should talk to the guys at the AG office and look into putting some fo them on the in laws land. While I have no experience with them ( other than eating chops ) my uncle keeps a small flock of around 50 to 75. Something else to look into just got to make sure I dont over load myself.

I have heard some people complain about their AG offices but so far I have had good luck and great support with mine. I have also been talking the the AG department at the university and getting good advice from those guys and gals as well.

Better have a good tight field fence. They're about as bad as goats as Far as escaping

As much as I hate to say it, there is money in sheep right now. On the other hand I use to have a tee shirt that said, "Eat lamb, 10 million coyotes can't be wrong". Predator problems are real if you are in the sheep business.

im seeing more and more herds of them, pop up around here....but then i seen herds of emu's in the 90's... but when you see a over abundance... you'll see those prices drop,, and the demand...

All the lamb I see in the stores here comes from New Zealand. Maybe somebody knows what that means. I don't.

If you are used to cattle - sheep will give you a crash course in humility

I've go a friend that raises meat goats like we do beef. Every Muslim holiday he sells every last one he has except the breeders. And he gets 150/hd picked up alive. If killed, gutted, skinned he gets another 50. And he'll do it kosher if they wish too.

I kind of backed into the sheep business. I used to buy sell barn sheep to train my young dogs and
they were pretty worthless. I figured if I was going to have a few sheep I might as well get some
that might be worth something, so I bought 25 young hair sheep ewes and a ram and built a night lot to keep other critters out. Long story, short- I now have about 60 ewes and am very pleased. I breed in October and all my ewes lamb in about the first two weeks of March. We typically have
about 150% lamb crop and I sell every lamb that I don't keep for replacements to the guy that order buys my stocker calves. He has a contact with an ethnic market in New Orleans and I get a good
price for 60-70# lambs in July. I don't purchase any feed for my ewes and I just turn them out in
the traps after I rotate my calves thru. The sheep eat mostly broadleaf weeds and whatever grass
is left. My fences are mostly 3 strands of hot wire with 1 barb wire between the bottom and second
hot. I seldom have any problems with sheep getting out other than some of the smaller lambs. At about 4-5 PM the sheep leave the traps and go up a lane and back into the night pen, usually on
their own. I have never seen anything like it. I don't know if I could market large numbers of lambs
but I have never had any livestock that required any less work.