Market Weight

Help Support CattleToday:

MudHog

Reaction score
Those that send calves to the sale barn, at what weight do you send them? I've seen market reports here where the by the cwt started at 200 lbs and that price range went to 30 lbs. Then prices started dropping within a 100 lbs range after 300 lbs. I see pictures of folks weaning calves in the 600+ range and selling them. Are these calves sold at a sale barn or are they sold in some other fashion?

Most calves are born in spring, eat grass all summer and sold in the fall. At around 600 pounds give or take based on what they are. The grass dies, calves get sold and cows are fed for the winter to repeat again next year. Thats why you see the majority sold that way, environment makes it so.

If you want to target a different time of year, weight, or whatever you have to decide what that is and if it works locally to you. 5 to 600 tends to be the best mix of total price sold for and amount invested to reach that weight. Selling calves at 300 lbs is a waste to me, as the cow is standing around not doing anything the next 9 months.

Not quite sure what your question is? A 300lb calf @ 3.00 is $900, a $600lb @ $2 is $1200. If it just stood there and ate grass a few more months for an extra $300 then it makes sense. Avg herd has less than 40 cows,

40x900 = 36,000
40x1200 = 48,000

Thanks SD. The numbers answered my question. I was fixating myself on a higher price and lower weight, but as you pointed out, higher weight and lower price still comes out ahead.

I have my grandparents telling me to sell them small, but they cannot tell me how "small".

MudHog":1p1njsqd said:
Thanks SD. The numbers answered my question. I was fixating myself on a higher price and lower weight, but as you pointed out, higher weight and lower price still comes out ahead.

I have my grandparents telling me to sell them small, but they cannot tell me how "small".
Gotta weigh the options. ~400 pounders were still hitting ~$2 last week. ~$850 for a 425 lb calf. At $1.60 it will take a 530 lb calf to bring the same $850.

If the reward for putting on more weight is in my favor I will risk owning the calf the extra time it takes to sell a heavier calf.

I sell my steers straight off the cow, so with some rare exceptions age is the determining factor, not weight. That's at about 8 months, so as SD said, they're at around 600 pounds.

I calved year round. Generally sold year round. When prices are good, I dump 'em. When prices are not good, I hold 'em if I can.

I choose to wait and add lbs, but I am set up to background as well. For me hanging onto them and straighten out any that don't look the best in the fall and catching the market in May with a group of uniform calves ready to go to the feed yards is what works for me.

Latest posts