market lamb questions.

Help Support CattleToday:

gabbyellepaige

Reaction score
What do judges typically look for in market lambs?
Long necks, thick legs, smooth shoulders, are these things judges look at?
Also when I brace my lamb he doesn't like it so he'll turn his body at an angle,
What can I do to make him stop this?
And is there a point when your lamb is too heavy?
Like is there a preffered weight range?
Thank you<333

You really need someone who has shown lambs to help you. This isn't something that someone can tell you what to do without actually seeing what you are doing.

Can your FFA advisor help you or do you have friends who show lambs?

You want a lamb that has a long loin and wide
From hip pin to last rib should be longer than your hand
and the same for the width of loin
also when you brace your lamb the ham should feel like your grabbing a big brick
To do that you better walk them a lot and they will do good
Oh, and a longer neck is better so hold it's ears up to make the neck look longer

gabbyellepaige":9iyn73fs said:
Also when I brace my lamb he doesn't like it so he'll turn his body at an angle,
What can I do to make him stop this?

You may want to get in front of him more. I am assuming you are showing with your leg in his brisket. Try using both legs and putting your knees on the insides of his shoulders. Using one leg may be pushing him one way or the other. With using both legs the pressure is equal....

If it is turning or twisting away it could be the way you are bracing- they will move away from discomfort. Don't jam your knee in its neck- with my kids I teach them to use the inside of the thigh/leg against the chest.
May I suggest a website- it is completely safe, with several administrators and adults that monitor content and replies. I have been a member for several years and there is an accumulation and wealth of knowledge on raising, fitting, and showing lambs. Many of the members are major breeders and people that show at the major livestock shows around the country. You can post questions as you can here- but I recommend using the search feature first to answer questions- I can guarantee that any question you may have has been asked many times before!
Good luck! website - http://mylamb.org/

sim.-ang.king":h799u0sm said:
also when you brace your lamb the ham should feel like your grabbing a big brick

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

My coach would $hit a brick!!! :cboy:

sim.-ang.king":22f8u8t9 said:
LOL maybe not the best words :dunce:

Hahaha, It's all good I guess. I don't really get caught up in terminology with regards to spieces but I know some can get really picky about it.

Probably my greatest goof-up of that type was last year when we were at the national livestock judging contest I definitely used the term "calving" in a commerical ewe set of reasons. The worse part is I didn't even notice it until I had finished and he mentioned it!! Talk about hang your head and leave the room!!! :oops: lol

Latest posts