First Year in Market Beef

Help Support CattleToday:

shy8088

Reaction score
This is my first year doing a market beef 4-H project. I have shown other animals in the past and wanted to try a steer as something new. I got my steer the other day and was wondering how he looked to people that know more about steers than I do. I didn't get him from a "show steer" breeder becasue I could knot afford it. He looked good to me but I don't know much about steers so if you could just let me know how he looks to you, like his good and bad points and if the bad points can be improved. I will just be showing him at my local county fair and there is only a few people who show beef so its not a hugely competitive show but I still want him to be decent at fair. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Sheyenne
P.S. If the pictures dont work could you tell me how do upload them I am having a hard time trying to do it :)

Steer02_zpsh05orded.jpg
[/url][/img]

Steer01_zpsrcl3c0hy.jpg
[/url][/img]

I am not going to pick him a part; you have him now, he is the date you have chosen to take to the dance. Not much you can change in an animal, you need to feed him to reach his max potential. First question: how much does he weigh, what is he eating at this point and when is your fair? From this information I can give you an idea on what you need to be feeding him.

As far as the steer, get a halter on him as soon as he settles down to his new home and get him halter broke if he is not already. From there you need to start brushing him daily, if the weather allows it rinse him every other day. This does 2 things it get the hair trained to go the right direction and it helps tame him down much faster. The more you handle him the better he will be at fair time. He may not be from show steer genetics but you get out of any animal what you put into them.

By training the hair, even if he has little of it, you give a fresher more youthful appearance. Brush The hair on his body up and forward at a 45% angle and the leg hair (once you get where you can handle his legs) strait up from the hoof to the hook on the rear and the hoof to the knee on the front.

I do not think it matters if he is a show steer or a commercial steer, work and feed him like he was a 5000 dollar calf and he'll do fine.

Good luck and enjoy your steer project.

I agree with VCC, no point in picking him apart when you already have him. Also to quote VCC; find out his weight, and the end date so you can figure out how much he needs to gain. Then we can figure out how much/what to feed him.

If I were to give any advice from my experience it would be to learn about your animal. Not sure if your county does skillathon but that is a great way to learn about your project and the market overall. Also learn how to show your animal. Even if he isn't the best calf at your fair, you can still do great at showmanship. And I have seen far to many kids with excellent calves who are poor showmen because they do not work with their calves and do not know their projects.

So even if he isn't the best; go out and work with him, do your best, learn from it, and have fun with him! :D

Latest posts