Market lamb opinions

Help Support CattleToday:

gabbyellepaige

Reaction score
This is my new market lamb, Kippers!
Just wanted to know what everyones opinion on her is,
she's pretty short so do you guys think she'll get taller by April?
She weighs 70lbs, what breed/mix do you think she is?
Any pointers for showing?
I haven't shown a lamb in 3yrs so any advice would be helpful, on
what to look for and what to build on to your lamb.
Thank you<3
IMG_20110928_172650.jpg

IMG_20110928_172642.jpg

IMG_20110928_172634.jpg

P8250409.jpg

P8250405.jpg

She looks pretty good!!! Looks like she has a nice butt on her and lots of other postives. Get that wool slicked off and you will be able to tell a lot more. At this time, since it won't be tell april, is get that wool off, check the fat cover on the ribs, should fell like the back of your hand for best cover, and walk her a mile a day and you will have a super animal.
Good Luck

When is your show?

She will definitely fill out & grow with days on feed.

She looks to be pretty good for as green as she still is.

I'd say black face cross as her breed (Suffolk/Hampshire). Most of the lambs I showed in the past looked similar.

Angus Cattle Girl":1kdngsu2 said:
When is your show?

She will definitely fill out & grow with days on feed.

She looks to be pretty good for as green as she still is.

I'd say black face cross as her breed (Suffolk/Hampshire). Most of the lambs I showed in the past looked similar.
I have an show on Dec. 10th,
she looks alot bigger now even though she only weighs about 85,
I'll post pictures on here later, when I get the chance.

I'd say suffolk/hamp
Your lamb is really green right now , I'am guessing your going to a jack pot show or some kind of fun show the 10th . I would consitrate on getting your lamb broke and shown well for the first show . Hopefully your lamb is wormed and had it's CDT shot so you can start getting the feed to him . He's going to grow and fill out , if you slick shear him now you're going to see he needs cover . Feed and excersise ,you'll do fine.

mlazyj":7z656aj3 said:
I'd say suffolk/hamp
Your lamb is really green right now , I'am guessing your going to a jack pot show or some kind of fun show the 10th . I would consitrate on getting your lamb broke and shown well for the first show . Hopefully your lamb is wormed and had it's CDT shot so you can start getting the feed to him . He's going to grow and fill out , if you slick shear him now you're going to see he needs cover . Feed and excersise ,you'll do fine.

Yes indeed, she is already halter broken, walks fine with no halter, braces perfectly, sets up,
only problem she doesn't like to be touched.
Like if your coming from her right she'll move to left to get away,
but if you're coming from the rear she's fine.
She's got all her shots, and she's filled out alot since these pictures were taken.
It's weird seeing her this skinny now, she's all muscle and wool now.

I've had the same problem with touchy lambs.

Desensitize her like you would with a horse. Every time you go out to her pen, catch her & rub all over her. Try doing it 2-3 times a day. Show her she has nothing to be afraid of. Of course, sheep don't catch onto this as fast as horses, but eventually they accept it.

When you work her everyday, set her up & brace her. Have someone outside with you that can walk around her while she is braced. Have them come up & handle her & repeat that as often as you can.

Latest posts