Market Crash? 1987 or 1929? Bank Run?

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
HerefordSire":135gzci6 said:
bigbull338":135gzci6 said:
yes ive been borrowing money every year for the last 2 or 3yrs.an pretty muchly paying it off every year.so im not scared to go get the money for what i do.an they just tell me if i need something to tell them.

Let's have some fun. Call your bank loan officer and tell them you are thinking about a new loan and see what they say. Last year was different than right now. If you can get a loan, ask what the interest rate is and ask if your collateral requirements have been changed.

I'm sure everyone has a brand new set of underwriting guidelines....even the few small locally owned banks will move much more slowly. The days of "write a check and come by and sign a note when you get a chance" are gone. Just too bad it took something like this to make businessmen start acting like businessmen. This thing is not all bad.

TexasBred":2fw94t6s said:
The days of "write a check and come by and sign a note when you get a chance" are gone.

That is sad. I hope you are wrong about this. And I also hope the banker doesn't tick me off

TexasBred":20177eui said:
HerefordSire":20177eui said:
bigbull338":20177eui said:
yes ive been borrowing money every year for the last 2 or 3yrs.an pretty muchly paying it off every year.so im not scared to go get the money for what i do.an they just tell me if i need something to tell them.

Let's have some fun. Call your bank loan officer and tell them you are thinking about a new loan and see what they say. Last year was different than right now. If you can get a loan, ask what the interest rate is and ask if your collateral requirements have been changed.

I'm sure everyone has a brand new set of underwriting guidelines....even the few small locally owned banks will move much more slowly. The days of "write a check and come by and sign a note when you get a chance" are gone. Just too bad it took something like this to make businessmen start acting like businessmen. This thing is not all bad.

A normal loan may be more difficult to acquire today than normally. However, the danger is leveraging loan proceeds. For example, if I am a hedge fund manager with about $500M under management, I may get a 25% cut of all the profit. So I take the $500M and leverage it so my take is larger, and so my buying power increases drastically. So for a normal 100% return per year might end up being 500% per year, etc. I can increase my take 5 times. If I get calls on the loans because of a couple of bad trades, then I may have to sell positions which is turn can cause other calls and liquidations. This is what is happening now with the large institutions. Deleveraging of America.

A normal loan may be more difficult to acquire today than normally. However, the danger is leveraging loan proceeds. For example, if I am a hedge fund manager with about $500M under management, I may get a 25% cut of all the profit. So I take the $500M and leverage it so my take is larger, and so my buying power increases drastically. So for a normal 100% return per year might end up being 500% per year, etc. I can increase my take 5 times. If I get calls on the loans because of a couple of bad trades, then I may have to sell positions which is turn can cause other calls and liquidations. This is what is happening now with the large institutions. Deleveraging of America.[/i]

Ready for the bad news? Guess who is next (after the institutions)? The American consumers. We are on the verge of being deleveraged, soon. If you can, pay down your credit cards to zero and bank loans before it is too late.

The days of "write a check and come by and sign a note when you get a chance" are gone.

Not really. Recently I wanted purchased 45 bred cows and called the FCS. They wired the money into my account the next day and mailed me the paperwork to sign. The cows were in my pasture before they even got any signed paperwork a few days later. I only talked with my rep on the phone and never saw her in person. It's really not that bad out there unless you're dealing with large banks. They're the ones having the problems.

HerefordSire":bcnokrpz said:
Have you tried to borrow money lately?

Nope! Paid off the last loan in about 1995 I think. Don't have that lead weight to carry anymore.

1982vett":2w0sktur said:
HerefordSire":2w0sktur said:
Have you tried to borrow money lately?

Nope! Paid off the last loan in about 1995 I think. Don't have that lead weight to carry anymore.

You are not typical, Vette.

There are several problems greed at the top and bottom from the CEO's to the day traders short selling stock.
The home loans to people that couldn't repay, as thye couldn't figure out they were in over there head. Loan practices good credit, bad credit no credit come on in for the instant gratifacation American.
Pumping billions overseas for fuel and products. It just got to be the time to pay the fiddler, we haven't came up with an energy policy, we threw our lending policies out the window.Congress and the far left and far right grid lock is sending this country to the septic tank.

Caustic Burno":jzvgueyg said:
There are several problems greed at the top and bottom from the CEO's to the day traders short selling stock.
The home loans to people that couldn't repay, as thye couldn't figure out they were in over there head. Loan practices good credit, bad credit no credit come on in for the instant gratifacation American.
Pumping billions overseas for fuel and products. It just got to be the time to pay the fiddler, we haven't came up with an energy policy, we threw our lending policies out the window.Congress and the far left and far right grid lock is sending this country to the septic tank.

Caustic, You pretty much summed it up. I agree with you wholeheartedly. I just wonder if things are really going to take a nosedive after the election.

john250":30oj323f said:
My Portfolio:

Now if we ranchers can just make a little bit of money on these cattle, I mean investment portfolio. We are getting squeezed. The price of marketable calves is less than our overhead. That is like getting a certificate of deposit from the local bank and we pay them interest instead of receiving interest? WHAT? Here come buy my calves. I have $500 in them and you can buy them for $400! LMAO

TexasBred....

Since you brought up Little Rock......when I was living there, a gentlemen by the name Jim McDougal (sound familiar?) and I became close friends. When he ran Madison Guarantee, he use to come pick me up in his green Rolls. He was a very wise man. They called him "Diamond Jim". Too bad I can't talk to him anymore. His wife went to jail on behalf of Slick Willie who was born in my home town along with Mac McClarty (chief of staff).

HerefordSire":g0ubc7qk said:
TexasBred....

Since you brought up Little Rock......when I was living there, a gentlemen by the name Jim McDougal (sound familiar?) and I became close friends. When he ran Madison Guarantee, he use to come pick me up in his green Rolls. He was a very wise man. They called him "Diamond Jim". Too bad I can't talk to him anymore. His wife went to jail on behalf of Slick Willie who was born in my home town along with Mac McClarty (chief of staff).

Herf...it's been a long time but the name sounds familiar. We did have a large participation in a loan that the Rose Law Firm did all the legal on. "Clinton" meant nothing then. Wonder if maybe Hillary's name was on some of the paperwork? If memory serves me correctly Guarantee Savings originated the loan. Use to trade treasuries and mortgage backed securities thru Powell-Satterfield, Bowman Company and Swink and Co.... are any of them still around ??

TexasBred...see that dotted line sloping down and intersecting with the top of the weekly price candlestick for POT? When it breaks through the red dotted line, POT and MOS will start running.

This chart of POT shows the daily price action instead of weekly price action. See what happened when the price penetrated the red dotted line upward on the daily? Will do the same thing on the weekly.

TexasBred":1uvg8xl8 said:
HerefordSire":1uvg8xl8 said:
TexasBred....

Herf...it's been a long time but the name sounds familiar. We did have a large participation in a loan that the Rose Law Firm did all the legal on. "Clinton" meant nothing then. Wonder if maybe Hillary's name was on some of the paperwork? If memory serves me correctly Guarantee Savings originated the loan. Use to trade treasuries and mortgage backed securities thru Powell-Satterfield, Bowman Company and Swink and Co.... are any of them still around ??

Jim died in a Federal prison. He is most noted for being associated with the Whitewater scandal. Remember? Stephens, Inc. is the only one I am aware of still left. I think Swink and Lassiter, etc. had troubles if you know what I mean. The Rose Law firm....remember when the famous employee of the Rose Law firm traded cattle futures and made about $100K? in a short period of time?

I told yall to jump on Goldman Sachs when it dropped below $98 a share (bottomed at $88). I just wish that I had followed my own advice. $132.75 a share at ~12:50 today.

Brandonm22":2xz2i0o4 said:
I told yall to jump on Goldman Sachs when it dropped below $98 a share (bottomed at $88). I just wish that I had followed my own advice. $132.75 a share at ~12:50 today.

You pegged that one B! A good company's stock price is like trying to keep an inflatable ball under water.

HerefordSire":jzsmd98j said:
TexasBred":jzsmd98j said:
HerefordSire":jzsmd98j said:
TexasBred....

Jim died in a Federal prison. He is most noted for being associated with the Whitewater scandal. Remember? Stephens, Inc. is the only one I am aware of still left. I think Swink and Lassiter, etc. had troubles if you know what I mean. The Rose Law firm....remember when the famous employee of the Rose Law firm traded cattle futures and made about $100K? in a short period of time?

Herf...old friend John Showalter (use to be at Bowman) I believe now works for Stevens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts