Making Money in the Cattle Business.

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus Cowman":3tbnpwbv said:
feeding the tubs for a 100 days (only as a reference #) is only $27.00 per cow calf pair I can't buy any hay that will be higher protein and feed them for 100 days for that price plus I would have to feed the hay the full 100 days where with the tubs I can utilize the grass I have and not have to feed the hay but 50 days out of that 100
I usually don't feed much hay before the 1st of Jan and am usually done feeding hay by the 1st of April because of the tubs I can get 60 days or more grazing on stockpiled grasses

We sort of do the same. Except we spring calve so the protein tubs don;t go out till after the calves start coming. Usually the beginning of March. Then by the first of April they're onto the new growth stuff so the tubs go away.

dun":t7wsuj1x said:
Angus Cowman":t7wsuj1x said:
feeding the tubs for a 100 days (only as a reference #) is only $27.00 per cow calf pair I can't buy any hay that will be higher protein and feed them for 100 days for that price plus I would have to feed the hay the full 100 days where with the tubs I can utilize the grass I have and not have to feed the hay but 50 days out of that 100
I usually don't feed much hay before the 1st of Jan and am usually done feeding hay by the 1st of April because of the tubs I can get 60 days or more grazing on stockpiled grasses

We sort of do the same. Except we spring calve so the protein tubs don;t go out till after the calves start coming. Usually the beginning of March. Then by the first of April they're onto the new growth stuff so the tubs go away.
that is the advantage of a spring calving herd in our country over fall calvers but on the other hand I wean in April and I get the spring flush of grass to turn my calves out on

When you guys talk protein tubs what kind and what is the protein percent.

I feed tubs 9-10 months, other wise I mix mineral with trace mineral hi mix salt.

The tubs I use have 30% protein, I use them more for the continuous vitamins and minerals they provide. I don't consider the tubs to be a significant source of protein. [helps some] I rely on the hay for protein.

We have cool season grasses. about 8-10 percent. and hay about 50-50 alfalfa and clover with grass. 12-14 percent.
I think the 37 percent tubs are more significant. I sometimes use 37 percent range blocks, soft and the cows will gobble these up.
The tubs I use are very hard.[250 lbs] 2 tubs will most of the time last 80 cows 2-3 weeks.

Angus Cowman":3k6s5bh1 said:
The tubs I use are a hard tub also and the consumption last winter was .66 lbs per day per pair

I agree that spending a little on supplements like the tubs you use, and I use are well worth the cost.

mnmtranching":qa9rqene said:
I agree that spending a little on supplements like the tubs you use, and I use are well worth the cost.

As long as you know exactly what your cost and alternatives are. Tubs are expensive no doubt, and you can quickly lose all potential profit if you don't know the exact costs/details. I have never heard/seen anyone using tubs 8-10 months out of the year???? Why would you use them when you have good grass growing? The tubs I'm referring to are a black like hard protein supplement (cooked molasses base), and can cost from $150 to $250 depending on the size and protein content. In the months when you have grass growing, you should have no need for them.

Our grass dries in July and August. Can green up with the Sept rains.
I don't feed tubs for protein, at 30 % is not a significant source.
The tubs I use are a good source of mineral and vitamins. At $78 a tub. Tubs are convenient, no waste and comparable in price to bagged mineral. I believe a steady flow of nutrients is a reason I have not seen pinkeye or foot rot in at least 5 years.

mnmtranching":25xlqeu2 said:
Our grass dries in July and August. Can green up with the Sept rains.
I don't feed tubs for protein, at 30 % is not a significant source.
The tubs I use are a good source of mineral and vitamins. At $78 a tub. Tubs are convenient, no waste and comparable in price to bagged mineral. I believe a steady flow of nutrients is a reason I have not seen pinkeye or foot rot in at least 5 years.

Are they tagged with a guaranteed analysis showing the mineral content? We don't have those type of tubs down here.... If they are comparable in price to bagged minerals then that's a no brainer. Sorry for "jumping the gun" on the previous post.

Got 2 new tubs yesterday. The nutritional contents are labeled guaranteed.
The tubs cost 84.50 for 225 pounds. google; [Rangeland 30-13 lick tubs]

backhoeboogie":1nukjgiu said:
LimiMan":1nukjgiu said:
Over the last couple years I have had hay cut and baled for $16-20. This year everything I have had done has ended up costing me $17 a bale, stacked in the field.

Don't complain to him. I wish I could still get a deal like that
The fella that custom bales my hay only charges $15 per bale and that is 4 x 5 bales

Copenhagen & Shiner B":3phnxyv8 said:
The fella that custom bales my hay only charges $15 per bale and that is 4 x 5 bales
Whoa, ONLY $15 a bale? I sure hope he cuts and rakes as well for that price. A 4X5 can't be more than 900 pounds?

novaman":1ksm653l said:
Copenhagen & Shiner B":1ksm653l said:
Whoa, ONLY $15 a bale? I sure hope he cuts and rakes as well for that price. A 4X5 can't be more than 900 pounds?

That's probably the price from cutdown to bale. If so, that's not unreasonable at all. The custom baler sure ain't getting rich at $15.00 per bale.

grannysoo":37l14k2k said:
novaman":37l14k2k said:
Copenhagen & Shiner B":37l14k2k said:

That's probably the price from cutdown to bale. If so, that's not unreasonable at all. The custom baler sure ain't getting rich at $15.00 per bale.
Probably not but they would be making money at that price. When I hear prices like that I can't believe they get it. I could buy all the hay I want for $20-25 per bale.

novaman":12n6xtz6 said:
grannysoo":12n6xtz6 said:
novaman":12n6xtz6 said:

Probably not but they would be making money at that price. When I hear prices like that I can't believe they get it. I could buy all the hay I want for $20-25 per bale.

It's probably not all that useful to compare costs in different regions of the country. I'd be curious to know the yields in these different areas. I would think the baler would charge less per roll if the yield was 4 tons/ acre than if the yield was 2 tons/acre. I always find it interesting to see alfalfa hay advertised for $80 or less per ton in ND or Montana when we can't even buy poor quality grass hay here for the same price (or by the ton for that matter).

Nova
I will disagree with a 4x5 not being able to weigh more than 900lbs
I can show you 4x5 grass bales weighing 1000-1100lbs all day long have over 1000 of them in the barn
I can also show you haybean, alfalfa, and millet bales in excess of 1300lbs in a 4x5 and they could weigh more if I wanted to tighten the baler down

also at $15.00 a bale and $2.50 per gallon fuel you sure won't make any money
I charge $18per bale to cut rake and bale 4x5 bales
but I guess I can buy $100,000 worth of equipment and just do it for free because at $15 pr bale that is what you are doing cause you sure aren't making anything for your time and that might pay for equipment and fuel but nothing else

Last time I checked custom balers around here were charging from $19 to $22 per bale to cut, rake and bale. Fertilizer will cost another $12 to $15 per roll depending on what kind you put out and how many rolls per acre you can get so $30 hay is history around here. Saw some rolled corn stalks for sale last week for $50 a roll.... :help:

Angus Cowman":125koic5 said:
Nova
I will disagree with a 4x5 not being able to weigh more than 900lbs
I can show you 4x5 grass bales weighing 1000-1100lbs all day long have over 1000 of them in the barn
I can also show you haybean, alfalfa, and millet bales in excess of 1300lbs in a 4x5 and they could weigh more if I wanted to tighten the baler down

also at $15.00 a bale and $2.50 per gallon fuel you sure won't make any money
I charge $18per bale to cut rake and bale 4x5 bales
but I guess I can buy $100,000 worth of equipment and just do it for free because at $15 pr bale that is what you are doing cause you sure aren't making anything for your time and that might pay for equipment and fuel but nothing else
You can't beat the deal if-----You can get it done when needed !! :)

Latest posts