Mail

Help Support CattleToday:

I need to know more about a law saying I can get my mail more then once a week at my house. If the gravel road has what they call a deep rut they will not drive down the state road. To me it looks like a speed bump that out OutBack runs over just fine at 10 mph with out spilling your coffee.

I did a bunch of searches on getting mail 6 days a week and only find the stuff in the news.

rusty":1onfokru said:
Trust me if you ever seen it get worked you would be surprised I'm not saying anything negative it's just amazing how it's done.It's also not a bad deal .42 cent to go anywhere.

Rusty my wife is a rural carrier for the PO Dept. And yes it is work and some days are brutal especially the day after holidays etc. And so mnay rude people.....call in on you just because they know Wal Mart did a boxholder yesterday and for some reason they didn't get one. Good money, hard work, little thanks.

peg4x4":34pwo7v0 said:
Oddest thing I've gotten in the mail was the invite to enter a contest for a FREE CREMATION!!!! :eek: Didn't enter,but mabe should have.

PEG, roflmbo...reminds me of the guy who went to the pharmacist to get prescription and pharmacists told him "take this and you should live to be 100". He looked at the bottle and it said "No refills". :lol: :lol:

mobgrazer":lo1ff6if said:
I need to know more about a law saying I can get my mail more then once a week at my house. If the gravel road has what they call a deep rut they will not drive down the state road. To me it looks like a speed bump that out OutBack runs over just fine at 10 mph with out spilling your coffee.

I did a bunch of searches on getting mail 6 days a week and only find the stuff in the news.

OK. I did some searching, too, and found out it's not really a "law", though it's usually referred to that way. It's actually a Congressional Mandate, first put into place in 1983 and renewed each year in the USPS appropriations bill. The current Postmaster General is trying to get the mandate removed this year so they can be more flexible in how/when they deliver mail.

Frist thing I'd do is talk to your local Postmaster. Call, make an appointment, set down and find out why you're not getting your mail on a regular basis.

Frankie thank you for this info.

I thought the only thing we could do was forum a "community center". Once this was done we could push for a post office but we would not be entitled to mail service but would have something local for our mail needs. I drive 27 miles one way to see if I got any important mail. They tell us they can not read the company names off the letters to us over the phone, but if we give them the company name they will say if it is there or not. I have a list of 27 companies I need to ask about but will get disconnected after the third one most of the time. The closest I get to the post office is 10 miles without going out of my way. I would use a different one but never get with in 40 miles of them in my daily travels.

We have had the same PO Box for 25 years and they claim my wife has the only key. We have filled out the paper bunches of times for 2 more keys and have never gotten more. Our Postmaster claims he has ordered a new lock with extra keys a 100 times and still has not got it in yet. There is a federal law that says if I have the right to have a key I have a right to copy the key but no one will do it.

I will do a search for this Congressional Mandate.

Thank you for the info.

Frankie":sn12zdye said:
I can't believe some people aren't getting their mail delivered regularly here in the US. I think it's a Federal law that they HAVE to deliver your mail six days a week. Believe me, I'd be on someone's case if we got mail delivery only three times a week. :mad: But we've had good service from the US Post Office over the years. And I think their rates are reasonable.

We signed up on a list to stop the junk mail and it has worked very well for us. We used to get tons of it; now just an occasional piece from local businesses. And you can sign up on a program that stops the credit card offers, too. We used to get probably two credit card offers a week and now we get none.
This is the first time I have ever had any problem with rural carriers and I drive a 1/4 mile to my mailbox because he doesn't want to come down my road any further which I can make him but I don't push the issue and as far as him coming to our mailbox it is at the neighbors house and she even set up a video camera for 3 weeks in those 3 weeks he came 10 times instead of 15 like he was supposed to he is just an a$$ I have been at the mailbox when he has came and he won't even speak, just about didn't have to worry about him last summer tho he backed out ofthe neighbors driveway right in front of me and I was coming down the hill with a semi load of hay I missed him by about 3 inches and he flipped me off

We have talked to the post master and he is worthless he says there is nothing he can do, the truth is there is nothing he wants to do about it

I don't know if this will help any of you but ask your postmaster to give you the number to their boss.Trust me in the PO everyone has one and if they won't tell you ask another PM they usually don't get along and will tell you to get the other PM in trouble.Also as for PO box keys I think you get one when you open the box and can buy another if you need two .Now if you lose a key you have to pay to get the box lock drilled to install a new one.As for making copies the key should say do not duplicate for security reasons.What you all need to remember is the carriers get paid per mile so if they don't have to drive to your mailbox it's free money.Now this is for contract carriers not postal carriers they don't have the same rules as we do.

rusty":3pmcu4fd said:
I don't know if this will help any of you but ask your postmaster to give you the number to their boss.Trust me in the PO everyone has one and if they won't tell you ask another PM they usually don't get along and will tell you to get the other PM in trouble.Also as for PO box keys I think you get one when you open the box and can buy another if you need two .Now if you lose a key you have to pay to get the box lock drilled to install a new one.As for making copies the key should say do not duplicate for security reasons.What you all need to remember is the carriers get paid per mile so if they don't have to drive to your mailbox it's free money.Now this is for contract carriers not postal carriers they don't have the same rules as we do.

Thank you, Rusty...that is good to know!

Alice

The postoffice needs to raise their package rates. They deliver a large part of UPS and FedExs packages. I know this for a fact because I work for FedEx Freight and I deliver Express' packages to the postoffices 3 days a week for them to deliver and one of the local UPS drivers is there a lot of times unloading a large part of his truck. Before Christmas we were delivering every day. Apparantly it's cheaper for FedEx and UPS to let the USPS deliver some of their packages than paying their drivers to do it. :roll:

I don't know about UPS but FedEx flies all of USPS priorty.Thats the funny part of life the USPS gave UPS their parcels because they said not enough money in parcels. Wonder if they made a mistake.This was when UPS first started.

When I opened the box I got one key. When my wife moved in but not the wife at the time she wanted a key so I gave her mine and added her name on the box of for incoming mail. They will not give us a second key and tell us we have the only key. I have tried to buy 2 more keys for years.

I did talk to a Postmaster on Saturday that works at the huge sorting office in the city. He says he will do all he can to help us out but it will take some time to get something done.

I don't think I am that far out of the way. There are 20 other people on the same road as us and were all in the same boat. The paper boy dose a great job until there is 3" of snow witch is understandable.

Latest posts