Mail

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus":1avpmb2t said:
Just slap a 42 cent stamp on all the junk mail ya'll have to deliver to my house and you can all get a bonus.

Jogeephus I've been told that all the junk mail you get that has prepaid postage on it doesn't cost them anything unless it's mailed back.I've started clipping all my info thats on it off and mailing their junk back to them using their postage.Just trying to give the PO a boost and who knows if everyone done it they might stop sending so much.

rusty":2bhj7gej said:
Jogeephus":2bhj7gej said:
Just slap a 42 cent stamp on all the junk mail ya'll have to deliver to my house and you can all get a bonus.

Jogeephus I've been told that all the junk mail you get that has prepaid postage on it doesn't cost them anything unless it's mailed back.I've started clipping all my info thats on it off and mailing their junk back to them using their postage.Just trying to give the PO a boost and who knows if everyone done it they might stop sending so much.

I've heard something like that myself. It just doesn't seem right that they can get such low rates and just flood the system with their landfill filler. I bet if they had to pay the same as us they wouldn't send so much junk and cutting back deliveries to 5 days a week wouldn't be that big a deal. I use the postal service a lot. With the exception of the junk, I am very pleased with the service and am amazed that they are as efficient as they are.

Trust me if you ever seen it get worked you would be surprised I'm not saying anything negative it's just amazing how it's done.It's also not a bad deal .42 cent to go anywhere.

rusty":4m6m4owf said:
Trust me if you ever seen it get worked you would be surprised I'm not saying anything negative it's just amazing how it's done.It's also not a bad deal .42 cent to go anywhere.

Not to give you the big head or anything but I did some work for a guy who absolutely did not trust the postal service and insisted on using another carrier. It was a complete pain in the butt to deal with them here. Just not set up for it. Have to schedule a pickup and then they will come within a 4 hour window to pick up the piece of mail. On top of that, it was extremely expensive. But the guy insisted that we deal with him in this fashion so we did. Guess what. First and most important piece of mail got lost in their system. I was livid cause this was hours of work and was THE original document. I told him that from now on, if he wanted to do business with me we would do it like the regular folks did and use the post office. In all the pieces of mail I have sent and received I only know of two instances where things went wrong with the USPO. :tiphat:

I've been told that sometimes when they move a sorter or any big equipment they find mail under it but with the amount they go through it's impressive.My route has 11 stops on it that handles 21 offices I drive a 24ft box truck and at christmas it's stuffed.Like i said before I run 6 days a week two trips a day at 77.7 miles a trip ,work all holidays but Christmas,Thanksgiving,Newyear and 4th of July.Been doing since 1990 and it's a job.

Frankie":1gwz36j3 said:
When I saw that the US Postal Service is considering cutting back on their mail delivery, I started looking at how many pieces of mail I send through them and I was surprised. Other than the NETFLIX movies, I probably don't mail six pieces of mail a month. A few years ago I started putting everything on the credit card. So about the only thing I mail every month are the credit card bill and the electric bill (the electrical co-op doesn't do credit cards). I can see that if lots of people did that, it would really hurt their business. Are you using the mail less than you were a few years ago?

I cannot tell you the last time I mailed anything. My bills are paid through the internet or online banking, I keep in touch with friends and family through e-mail or the telephone, and most everything else that needs to be addressed is done via drop-off the next time I'm there. I couldn't even tell you the cost of a stamp these days. :oops: :lol:

agree the PO cant afford to go to a 5 day week.unless the mail has dropped to the point theres no need to run 6 days.i know mon an tues are the heavy days at most POs.an yes they are cutting the hours.as well as not replacing people that retire or quit.

bigbull338":1u4e5bjd said:
agree the PO cant afford to go to a 5 day week.unless the mail has dropped to the point theres no need to run 6 days.i know mon an tues are the heavy days at most POs.an yes they are cutting the hours.as well as not replacing people that retire or quit.

but they could deliver to my route on Monday , wednesday and Friday and deliver to your route on tuesday, thursday and Saturday.

they then sucessfully cut the daily work load in half. Not exactly as there would be some increase in the every other day volume, but still half the daily milage and half of most associated expense.

the background work would have to go on pretty much unaltered but this simple step would deliver substantial savings. I don't think it would greatly affect either your or my daily life.

Some online bill payment still does put a check in the mail. We are on the receiving end of those at work all the time. The person went on their computer and made the payment probably thinking it was all electronic. But what happens with some of them, they print a check and mail it to the payee with the sender's name and address and any other reference information they entered printed on the check or the stub. My point is, online bill payment doesn't automatically take business away from the post office.

If you pay a bill online directly with the vendor, then it's usually an electronic transaction. For example I pay my credit card bill online via the credit card company web site, and it shows up on the bank statement as ACH debit, paperless. But if you use an online bill pay service, they are likely mailing checks on your behalf.

rusty":1mr926k0 said:
Jogeephus":1mr926k0 said:

I used to get oodles of credit card offers in the mail. I finally got tired of all the credit card junk mail so I had a half skid of bricks left over from my home construction. I wrapped a brick in paper and attached the prepaid postage envelope to it with a note asking to be off the mailing list and mailed it back. I got rid of all my excess brick and the CC companies finally quit sending me offers. Theres a bunch of paper weights sitting on a bunch of folks desks somewhere :lol:

When I get all this prepaid junk in the mail,I mix it all up and send one company's junk to another company.
I haven't stopped it all yet but it's sure slowed down some.
Have a 10 yr old grandaughter got a credit card app. in the mail.

Cal

Our mail comes twice a week if were lucky. The post office tells us they only have to run our rout once per week and is on Thursday. This dose not mean it will come on Thursday so check every day. If there's any bad weather don't even think about getting mail. They do us a discount on a PO Box and there is a rumor that if you take out the mail box the PO Box is free.

If I need something sent ASAP then I get it sent to the post office "in care of MOB Grazer" if I have to use a street address and check every day when I get the PO Box emptied that my wife has the only key for. They tell us they do not have a key for it and have a new lock on order with extra keys but have never gotten it. The UPS guy drops stuff off at our house for people that live up to a mile away.

If they cut out delivery one day a week or would only deliver 3 days a week to one side of there district and the other half the other 3 days should save some money.

If you can't pay bills on time because no mail on Thursday then how does you deal with it on Sunday?

Calman
I got my first credit card at 14 and it was platinum. My mom used it to remodel 2 bathrooms and her kitchen. I paid the bills using money order with my moms help until the contractors were paid and then we stopped paying them. I still remember getting served papers for credit card fraud and standing in the court room with my mom telling the judge I was 14 when I committed the crime so she wants me tried as a miner.

In JV court the judge ordered me to not fill out any more credit card applications till I was 18. They did not get anything because they can not make a legal agreement with a miner. In return I got a tube of ice cream every week for a year. They did not have the original application but had a copy with a smudged birth date and house hold income and could not show what I put on it.

If they do go to 5-day delivery, you can bet it won't be Monday - Friday. That would make a lot of sense, as it would be less disruption for business mail. Also, the employees would love it. And therein lies the reason for not doing it. Postal management goes out of its way to screw over the employees any time it's possible, and this would be one of those times. I worked there for 31+ years, hanging on strictly for the pension I now enjoy. It ain't easy to work and try to do a job when the bosses don't care about anything but their pay, and sabotage your every move, basically making working there a thoroughly bad experience. This management style is the reason the postal circus is what it is.

Who gets bonuses?? Upper management gets bonuses. Millions, for the excellent jobs they do as managers presumably. They sit in their offices shuffling paper and trying to figure out new and better ways to screw the people doing the work, and get bonuses for it.

Working there sucks! Reminds me very much of that guy "Onie" that Johnny Cash sang about. The workers get the mail delivered IN SPITE OF the "managers".

I don't understand why some of you aren't geting 6day a week mail service?????? around here they would pull the contract.I don't know as much about mailbox delivery as delivering to the PO's but most of the mailbox carriers around here have to have 4 wheel drives or chains for bad roads.I have to carry chains in my truck and the only way I don't have run is when the state shuts the roads down.

Oddest thing I've gotten in the mail was the invite to enter a contest for a FREE CREMATION!!!! :eek: Didn't enter,but mabe should have.

Mail delivery used to only be 5 days a week anyway. (Mon-Fri) Our mail has been cut back as well, but still get our share of junk mail.
Carrier jobs arent really as easy as people think. Our rural mail carrier lady just died a few days ago from injuries received when she was slammed into from behind from someone NOT paying attention while she was delivering mail . Sad.. she was a really good gal, friendly, always smiling... I hated it when I heard the news.

Rusty, several years back, we had a snow and ice event that made almost all roads totally impassable. I could not even get out of my driveway. When you are unable to get to work in a situation like this you have to use vacation time, unless it's due to an "act of God". In that case you would be given administrative leave.

Now bear in mind that all roads were iced over. DPS and the highway department were saying DO NOT venture out except in the case of an emergency.

In her supreme wisdom, our postmaster decreed that this was NOT an act of God, so everybody got to use a day of vacation..........

Just another example of postal management at work. :dunce:

I can't believe some people aren't getting their mail delivered regularly here in the US. I think it's a Federal law that they HAVE to deliver your mail six days a week. Believe me, I'd be on someone's case if we got mail delivery only three times a week. :mad: But we've had good service from the US Post Office over the years. And I think their rates are reasonable.

We signed up on a list to stop the junk mail and it has worked very well for us. We used to get tons of it; now just an occasional piece from local businesses. And you can sign up on a program that stops the credit card offers, too. We used to get probably two credit card offers a week and now we get none.

In the past 19 years I've had one morning I didn't run on time (3 hrs) late because the ice was so bad I couldn't even walk on the road.I'f I were the ones not getting 6day service I would check into it.

Latest posts