Mahindra Tractors

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan

Reaction score
How do you all feel about Mahindra tractors? I have a friend who has owned one for several years, and he loves it. He says they are becoming the new Massey Ferguson around here.

That statement may not mean anything depending on where you live, but around here in the 70s, 80s, and 90s, Massey Ferguson was "the tractor." He says Mahindra is starting to take over as they once did.

I ask because I have always wanted a Massey Ferguson but never owned one. I thought if I can't find a Massey like I want, maybe I should just go with Mahindra.

I think the engines are decent, they're a Perkins as well.. I think all the new engines are built in China and India anyhow regardless of the paint they put on after... Same goes for front axles.. Mahindra has the same axles as Kubota and Massey I believe... Other things you might have quality control problems.. I would DEFINITELY flush all the systems after 100 hours of work to make darned sure all the casting sand and etc get a chance to escape.

I just am terrified of the costs involved with these Tier 4 emissions regardless of brand.

We looked at and almost bought a Mahindra six months ago. Got cautioned by several people on availability of parts. Husband looked at all of them. Did not like JD because of proprietary issues on repairs. I liked Massey Fergusons. My cousins swear by MF and Kubotas. Husband picked out and we ended up buying a Branson tractor. Factory is down the road in Rome, Ga. So far we are very pleased. Check with me again in 15 years and I will have better info. on it.

Neighbor bought a ~60hp model with cab and loader on it could years back. It has been sitting in the shop almost all summer waiting on some parts that have to come from India and aren't available until somebody over there decides to build them. Dealer said hopefully by snowfall he will have it back together again..

IMO that is unacceptable for a piece of equipment that I depend on to make me money. I've been upset having to waiting on some CNH parts that have to come from England and take a week..... haha

Bought my mahindra 3616 4 years ago and it's been a great tractor. Wish it was bigger but I make do with it. I'm at 450hrs now.

See very few here. But did hear a small farmer in the area bought a little one. Pretty much Deere, Kubota, then cnh on late model stuff around here.

Light chores, they might be ok. Put one to work,and it'll fly to pieces. Pieces that have to come from over seas. They don't save money, they cost.

I have the 4025 4wd with loader. Pretty basic machine. I've had it about 4 yrs with no major issues. I put out hay with it, 4x5 and 5x6 rolls. Bush hog and have done a little discing too.

Most common new light duty 40ish horse tractor around me. They have bigger at the dealer but i havent seen one in use anywhere.

Don't want one. Trade-in/sales valve is almost giveaway. I have watched them for years sale on Ebay and bids are hard to come by on them and the Kubotas have bids galore. That tells me all I want to know.

jltrent":1ilt70uk said:
Don't want one. Trade-in/sales valve is almost giveaway. I have watched them for years sale on Ebay and bids are hard to come by on them and the Kubotas have bids galore. That tells me all I want to know.

We just considered and then unconsidered a Mahindra for that reason (low resale) and also reviews on lack of parts and I guess some people had problems the very first week with them. Got a (used) JD instead.

FIL bought a bigger one this year, don't know the model , over 100hp, he seems happy so far . Traded in a NH that he had multiple problems with , time will tell Iguess.

Had a Mahindra 4500 several years ago. Never had any mechanical problems with it. Has a rough ride but is very heavy and has very strong hydraulics. No problem at all moving large round hay bales. Noticed we have a new dealer down the road about an hour and have heard they have a huge parts inventory for whatever thats worth. All I ever did to mine was service it.

jltrent":jwqerkam said:

I looked at one also and decided to go with JD. May cost a little more but will hold resale value.

Neighbor bought one pretty good size. Had a few minor issues with the loader, but was taken care of with warranty. He kept bragging it up, until the rear end broke into with a disc mower. Took about three months but was covered. He ran it through an auction and got a bid for half of its cost. He sold it finally privately I have no idea what he got. The price new was tempting, and to be honest he is known to be a little rough with equipment. But with my luck lately I don't have any room to talk about people. :oops:

midTN_Brangusman":yh0ee5lg said:
jltrent":yh0ee5lg said:

I looked at one also and decided to go with JD. May cost a little more but will hold resale value.
A bit more than "a little more"....more like double the price +

TexasBred":17hk4xgg said:
midTN_Brangusman":17hk4xgg said:
jltrent":17hk4xgg said:

14 grand to be exact, very glad I made the upgrade. In my area its JD or Kubota, be hard to sale a Mahindra.

midTN_Brangusman":i8ordix2 said:
TexasBred":i8ordix2 said:
midTN_Brangusman":i8ordix2 said:

14 grand to be exact, very glad I made the upgrade. In my area its JD or Kubota, be hard to sale a Mahindra.
Maybe so. Only JD's around here are the 100 HP and up models. For smaller jobs and smaller operators (45-65 HP) it's Mahindra, smaller NH and seeing more and more of the Kioti tractors.

Latest posts