Magnets

Help Support CattleToday:

lancemart

Reaction score
Is it a good idea to use magnets. Does it prevent hardware disease? My cows are a year old is it time to shout some magnets in them?

if they are in an area wtih lots of old wire lying around, it would prevent hardware from poking a hole through their stomach wall

4-H fanatic":30szrs9s said:
Just to be on the safe side all of my cattle have 2 magnets in them. we had one butchered and both were completly covered

2 hu? and they were both covered? Sounds like you need to get your fields cleaned up :roll:

Take a day off, get the family together, go on a "pick up the bits & pieces of wire, metal, nails, broken glass, etc." field day. Pack a picnic lunch. "Police" the area (as done in military), work a grid. "Ounce of prevention is a pound of cure!"

Muratic and Running Arrow have good advice there. We do this every year. One time ever is not enough. You would be surprised at what shows up even with the routine clean up.

Never put a magnet in a cow in 20+ yrs, do spend some time picking up old barbed wire & such. Also never lost one to hardware disease that I know of.

When we bought our place 10 years ago it was covered in
sandstone rocks. While clearing it with a truck, trailer, 1 sore
back and 30 pairs of leather gloves... I hung a 6 foot long
magnetic strip from the front bumper about 2 inches off the
ground. It picked up a lot of "Bits N Pieces" of wire, nails
ect.

I dont have magnets in any of my cows, but still have the strip
on the front of the old truck that I only use around the farm.

When I was at school, one of the teachers had a friend that ran a small packing plant. This guy would save all the unusual stuff they found in cattle and give it to my teacher who mounted it on plywood for display. Pretty much anything you could imagine was on those boards. One thing I remember was a 12" crescent wrench. :shock: Now why would the old fool have swallowed that?

Medic24":3a81sowu said:
Ummmm...am I wrong , but wouldn't two magnets kinda cancel each other out? :cboy:

No, but they would line up at opposite poles if they got close enough to one another. They woud still have a attracting effect on ferrious metals.

Chuck":1zzv48bi said:
When I was at school, one of the teachers had a friend that ran a small packing plant. This guy would save all the unusual stuff they found in cattle and give it to my teacher who mounted it on plywood for display. Pretty much anything you could imagine was on those boards. One thing I remember was a 12" crescent wrench. :shock: Now why would the old fool have swallowed that?

i figure that was an interesting board, and a good conversation item.

jt

Medic24":2kownskb said:
Ummmm...am I wrong , but wouldn't two magnets kinda cancel each other out? :cboy:

I guess it depends on the brand of magnets ya use - the ones I've used say only to use one on the instructions for this very reason. I guess some of em have a different "field pattern" or whatever so ya can use more than one?

Funny this topic should come up - bought some calves recently and as part of my usual routine I was gonna stuff mangnets in em - but the girl at Tractor Supply and a couple feed stores here looked at me like I was crazy when I asked for cow magnets. One guy at a feed store knew what I was talkin about but didn't carry 'em. Maybe people don't use the magnets that much anymore?

Some magnets I've found on the internet say they can be inserted by hand (they say they're smaller but a stronger magnet). Has anyone tried this?

Mike Bishop - http://www.flbullrider.com

flbullrider":16zvycyi said:
Some magnets I've found on the internet say they can be inserted by hand

How else would you insert them? I surely wouldn't make an all day surgical procedure out of it.

Just put them in a baling gun and pop then down their throught like an asprin.

it doesnt hurt to put a magnet down them a head of time or you can wait till you see a hump in the back an do it then the only time you may use 2 magnets in a cow if its been like 6yrs sib\nce you have gave her 1 scott

Muratic":1n5cbvtz said:
flbullrider":1n5cbvtz said:
Some magnets I've found on the internet say they can be inserted by hand

How else would you insert them? I surely wouldn't make an all day surgical procedure out of it.

Just put them in a baling gun and pop then down their throught like an asprin.

I'm talkin minus the balling gun... literally by hand on a docile animal...

Mike Bishop - http://www.flbullrider.com

Huh - what would be the advantage - most anyone in the cattle business has a balling gun (I would hope so at least).

So you put your hand in the cow's mouth to put the magnet down their throat? Or do they make them taste so good that the cow just eats it like food? Just a bit hard for me to visualize how this would work.

We have never used magnets, but we do have an ongoing 'clean up the pasture' program. Pastures are patrolled with the goat on a regular basis and trash is picked up and disposed of. Not only for the hardward disease, but also for foot rot. We have never had a cow with hardware disease, and only one with foot rot.

PS this is not a challenge, God.

Latest posts