Hardware magnets

Help Support CattleToday:

MistyMorning

Reaction score
Good morning all. Heres my questions.

At what age is it safe to administer a hardware magnet?

If you don't know if a cow has one (can't get verification) can you give them a second one?

Thanks for any input.

We used to dump them in about weaning time, 6-7 months or so. No problem with multiple magnets. Get the good ones, the solid steel, they will last a lifetime. Actually several lifetimes. When we'ld butcher we'ld pull the magnet from one, clean it up and drop it in another

If you take a compass and run it along where the rumen would be it will point to the rumen instead of north if she has a magnet.

:lol: :lol:

What dun said, we just do the keepers including the bull, not the steers or heifers to be shipped.

ALX

AngusLimoX":2ksniypt said:
If you take a compass and run it along where the rumen would be it will point to the rumen instead of north if she has a magnet.
:lol: :lol:

ALX

Is that what they call "Animal magnetism"?

Animal magnetism, which was based on Anton Mesmer's belief that living beings had magnetic fields running through them which could be manipulated for healing or other purposes enjoyed a vogue in the eighteenth century. The picture of the "magnetizer" with one of his patients, usually women, shows the powerful gaze therapeautically bonding the couple together as the magnetic effluvia are redirected by the magnetizer's hands. Mesmer, the leading practitioner and theorist of animal magnetism, had been an early patron of Mozart in Vienna. He set up practice in Paris in 1784 and craved recognition for his art. His claims of magnetic healing were investigated by a Royal Commission established by Louis XVI in 1784 which included Antoine Lavoisier, Benjamin Franklin and Joseph Guillotin. Their report, described by Stephen Jay Gould as "a key document in the history of human reason" began "Animal magnetism may exist without being useful, but it cannot be useful if it does not exist". The Commission found that Mesmer's universal magnetic fluid, and could therefore only be studied through its effects, which in a series of control experiments they attributed to the power of suggestion. Mesmer retired to Germany but his ideas influenced the therapeautic use of hypnosis and the development of chiropracty in the USA.

Haven't you heard of the term "mesmerize"? It was termed after Anton Mesmer. Just saying...........

We only used magnets as a reguilar procedure when we fed hay that was wire tied. Was never much of a problem on pasture or range, but the hay would frequently have small bits of wire. I found it intersting to pull out a magnet and look and see all the crud that was stuck to it.

I think it only makes sense. Such a small investment that could save a lot of trouble. Found a ping pong ball in a pasture today. How did that get there? We don't even have a table. What else is out there then?

MistyMorning":10a8196n said:
I think it only makes sense. Such a small investment that could save a lot of trouble. Found a ping pong ball in a pasture today. How did that get there? We don't even have a table. What else is out there then?

Might also ask - "Who else is out there?"

Bez+

I can see how you may think that :lol: After I read it I thought there was one in the house too! No the smell, was in the house. :D

Latest posts