Mad as H-E-DOUBLEMATCHSTICKS

Help Support CattleToday:

I worked with a man that had a pen of turkeys. One night, something got into the pen, killed and ate the heads off of some of the turkeys. Only a two or three of the turkeys were killed. They staked it out thinking what ever came, would return the next night. A bobcat returned and he shot it. He found out that the bobcat would kill it's prey, eat the head off to be sure it's dead, and plans on returning to get the others that it killed later.
Usually scavengers will eat the soft tissues first such as the guts and eyes, until it decomposes a bit more. Animals killing for sport may chew a bit, but don't really appear to be hungry. Those returning to finish it off either later on that night or the next, eat the head to make sure it is dead. Those hungry as hell eat the whole thing.

One of the fastest ways I know to ruin a neighborly realtionship is to take care of your animals sometimes. This has been discussed befor, long time ago. My neighbor shot my dog. he said it was chasing his heifers around. Every time I went to catch it he was laying with them and licking theor ears. I tried my best to keep the dog on a chain. He never had to tell me to get it, I knew when the dog was off the chain when I came hoem were he was at. I am over it now. But have not spoken with that man in two years. The hardest thing he told my wife was to come over two weeks ago and ask for permission to come on my place becasue his water gap was out and get the same cattle(now cows) of my land. Don't think this lends any advice directly, but might make you think befor you shoot. Take care of your cattle the best way you know how. Oh, we did let him drive on or place and he got his cattle back. No harm for the worse. But my now eight year old daughter still wants him back.

Scotty

Scotty

Okay! I am buying 2 Jennies tomorrow. I have talked to a few individuals and they are telling me to get a couple of Jennies. They say they will take care of any dog/coyote issues.

I have heard a lot of advantages of having them. Any disadvantages other than another two mouths to feed.

Thanks,

TexasShooter":3ct26mk5 said:
Okay! I am buying 2 Jennies tomorrow. I have talked to a few individuals and they are telling me to get a couple of Jennies. They say they will take care of any dog/coyote issues.

I have heard a lot of advantages of having them. Any disadvantages other than another two mouths to feed.

Thanks,

Unless they're used to cattle they can be almost as big a problem as the dogs. LLamas fall into the same category.

dun

had one once... got rid of her... she wanted and did steal a newborn calf from the cow... luckily i was there... calf would not have gotten colostrum if i hadnt been.

jt

TexasShooter, sorry to hear of your loss. It could have been dogs that did the killing, coyotes and buzzards and cats that did the eating. No way to tell now. I've had a problem with neighbor dogs doing the harassing, but no eating.
As to the jennies, dun is right, be sure they are used to being around cattle. Have seen some pretty serious damage done to calves(not mine) by donkeys not used to cattle.
Good luck.

Katherine

Got Llamas a few ys ago for this same problem. But learned a lesson too late.....only get ONE at a time.
One Llama makes a good guard animal , more then that are just Llamas. The will then stay together instead of with yr herd.

I jsut got thru reading in the local paper about a friend of ours who is a quail farmer. he had some dogs get into his quail pens (dug in i guess?) and they killed $15,000 worth of quail. He shot the dogs.

TexasShooter":31q02uo4 said:
Okay, I need some advice. Yesterday evening I found one of my newborn calves (5 days old) dead. A predator had attacked it. All that was left was the head, most of the hide, and hind legs.

What am I battling here? Pack of wild dogs, coyotes?
What can I do as far as poison etc.?.
How do you know it was a predator KILL??? A 5 day old calf is not easy pickins. Doesnt sound to me like there was enough evidence left for you to tell what happened to it for sure. Most "kills" blamed on predators probaly arent. Thank God we have scavengers that eat dead stuff or it would be a stinkin place to live!! You dont know nearly enough about what happened to be talking about poisoning anything!!!

Latest posts