Mad as H-E-DOUBLEMATCHSTICKS

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasShooter

Reaction score
Okay, I need some advice. Yesterday evening I found one of my newborn calves (5 days old) dead. A predator had attacked it. All that was left was the head, most of the hide, and hind legs. Everything else was gone including the tongue.

What am I battling here? Pack of wild dogs, coyotes?
What can I do as far as poison etc.? I have heard of gidders or getters (something of that nature). Can anyone help? I am so mad and upset right now I can't see straight.

Any recommendations or advice would be much appreciated.

It is so aggravating.

Sorry to hear that. Have you seen dogs around? I am in NE Oklahoma, so you will probably get better advice from your neighboring Texans, but around here--dogs would be the first suspects. Any talk of neighbors losing animals, as well?

I have seen several packs of dogs the last couple of weeks, however they were not very large in size. Also see and hear coyotes occasionally as well.

Talked to my neighbor yesterday and he hasn't lost any yet. But he does have a couple of jack asses.

I'am only about 50 miles from you, and my in-laws live in Gun Barrell City, and they have mentioned to me several times that they have seen coyotes around the lake, not sure how close to Cedar Creek you are. Where was the cow when all this happened? It would be kinda odd that coyotes would attack in the daytime, is this when you believe this occured? Daytime attacks would lead me toward wild dogs.

We also have had reports of moutain lion / bobcat sightings around here, newspaper reports that folks have lost a few ducks and kittens to them. They seem to be spotted around Lake Lewisville most of the time, as I guess they like to be near water.

I am probably around 20 miles from Cedar Creek Lake.

I had 15 head (including calf) on about 50 acres. Mother should have been there unless she left him to graze. I can't believe she left him at night...Do you? However, she was hiding him during the day.

So you think during the day Dogs, at night coyotes? If so, do you have any ideas on how to combat.

Agree Sidney! No one wants to think it's dogs, but.........day night doesn't much matter to those kicked out to fend for themselves! Big thanks to all the irresponsible jerks who dump em off in "the wild" because they got to be too much for them. Also, doesn't take much persuasion to turn a good dog bad!.

a friend had two calves die last year and the coyotes didn't kill them but ate on them before he could tell what was wrong

If it was eaten up that bad it's just about impossible to tell what did it unless you can find some good tracks around the carcass. Good luck with shooting anything with paws, that doesn't belong to you, that you happen to see on your place.

Craig-TX

Eaten badly could suggest that what killed it ate then others ate later. To me sounds like you have dogs or coyotes.

Scotty

i tend to agree with scotty... sounds like more than one mouth was fed.. eaten that badly... i would continue to check with neighbors and keep a sharp eye out..

good luck

jt

Have you seen any of those mexican buzzards? Smaller than regular buzzard, gray bodies with black heads and a hell of lot meaner.

Rancher to the east of you in Van Zandt county showed me pictures of damage done to a calf that was several weeks old.

I have heard from neighbor about them. He said they take out the eyes first and then the rest after they have blinded them. That's amazing, I sure hope it's not that!

TexasShooter":19w5zd07 said:

I had 15 head (including calf) on about 50 acres. Mother should have been there unless she left him to graze. I can't believe she left him at night...Do you? However, she was hiding him during the day.

So you think during the day Dogs, at night coyotes? If so, do you have any ideas on how to combat.

Heck the worse problem I ever had was with a pack of 13 dogs, everthing from Labs to poodles. It doesn't matter if its day or night, had a lot more trouble at night with them. When I contacted the neighbors of the subdivision a couple of miles through the woods the reply was the same. Couldn't have been my dog look its right here, the very same dog that was in the pack earlier. One box of 22 shells latter things are better. There is a law on the Texas books if you can catch them the owner is liable and fined HB 151 is the law.

TexasShooter":250m321r said:
I have heard from neighbor about them. He said they take out the eyes first and then the rest after they have blinded them. That's amazing, I sure hope it's not that!

that would make me mad, and its not even my calf. hope it not that either..

jt

Caustic Burno":3rmdi3pb said:
TexasShooter":3rmdi3pb said:

Heck the worse problem I ever had was with a pack of 13 dogs, everthing from Labs to poodles. It doesn't matter if its day or night, had a lot more trouble at night with them. When I contacted the neighbors of the subdivision a couple of miles through the woods the reply was the same. Couldn't have been my dog look its right here, the very same dog that was in the pack earlier. One box of 22 shells latter things are better. There is a law on the Texas books if you can catch them the owner is liable and fined HB 151 is the law.

sheriff officer told me that if i caught animals on my place and had suspicions... i could protect my livestock...

my approach is... if i know whose dog it is... i will give them fair warning... after that... same as hoss.. i mean burno.. :lol: i like your avatar....
bonanza was one of my favorites. when i read your posts i hear hoss's voice.. :lol:

fortunately, i have not had many problems.. hope it stays that way.

jt

Fair warnings usually turn out to not be fair – to you. Rarely does a neighbor take heed and you will only serve to tip your hand as to why Rover didn't come home one day. Worse yet, you might get blamed for dirty work you didn't even do. If you're going to warn somebody, do it anonymously.

Craig-TX

Craig-TX":16oczfn9 said:
Fair warnings usually turn out to not be fair – to you. Rarely does a neighbor take heed and you will only serve to tip your hand as to why Rover didn't come home one day. Worse yet, you might get blamed for dirty work you didn't even do. If you're going to warn somebody, do it anonymously.

Craig-TX

as i typed in my response, that very thought was going thru my head... warned one once, the man didnt have a problem later, but the wife did... :( :x .. and i didnt even shoot the dog...

you are right... it is really a no win situation for you.

jt

Craig-TX":12argj78 said:

Craig-TX
Craig has a good point. Sometimes the fighting starts right there. Some think their dogs have more right to be on your property than your stock does.

Best to not have any idea of who the owner is when you take overt action to protect your stock. Collar? What collar?

Latest posts