Lutalyse

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MRRherefords

Reaction score
I am looking to use lutalyse to bring two of my AI cows in heat. I understand when I am supposed to do it I was just wondering how much and where do I give the injection. I want to make sure I get it in the right place. Thanks.

GnRH first then 7 days later the lute. The bottle will have the dose.

I give it in the deep muscular area on the top of the pelvic area to the right or left of the spine.

MRRherefords":3m9u3u4f said:
dun":3m9u3u4f said:
GnRH first then 7 days later the lute. The bottle will have the dose.
Is there another name for gnrh. I have not been able to find it on the internet.

GnRH is available as:
Cystorelin
Fertagyl
Factrel
OvaCyst

Are registered brand names for GnRH.

Lutalyse is not a GnRH. It is a Prostaglandin.

estroPLAN
Estrumate
In-Synch
Lutalyse
ProstaMate

Are all registered brand names for Prostaglandin.

PS: get it from any big animal vet. They all seem to have a brand name that they prefer.

So I was going to give a shot of a GnRH vaccine on day 0, then a shot of Lutalyse 7 days after, then heat detect through day 10 when I would give another dose of GnRH and AI. My question is do they have to have just experienced a heat cycle prior to day 0 for this to work.

MRRherefords":2dagikk8 said:
So I was going to give a shot of a GnRH vaccine on day 0, then a shot of Lutalyse 7 days after, then heat detect through day 10 when I would give another dose of GnRH and AI. My question is do they have to have just experienced a heat cycle prior to day 0 for this to work.

The 7 day TAI is designed to reset the cows estrus clock. I don't use the 7 day Synch often since I AI on natural heats. The GnRH will rupture the follicle. 7 days later the Prostaglandin will destroy the corpus lutem so she will ovulate. There is no parameter that she just experienced a heat.

Bright Raven":1olg0ga5 said:
MRRherefords":1olg0ga5 said:

The 7 day TAI is designed to reset the cows estrus clock. I don't use the 7 day Synch often since I AI on natural heats. The GnRH will rupture the follicle. 7 days later the Prostaglandin will destroy the corpus lutem so she will ovulate. There is no parameter that she just experienced a heat.
So your saying I should not do that method? I have gone on natural heats before with very little success. That is why I was looking for a timed program. What type of program does everyone use?

MRRherefords":2pi6vc9t said:
Bright Raven":2pi6vc9t said:
MRRherefords":2pi6vc9t said:

So your saying I should not do that method? I have gone on natural heats before with very little success. That is why I was looking for a timed program. What type of program does everyone use?

No. 7 day TAI is a credible part of the AI synch tool box.

Natural heats are my preference but should in no way influence your decision as our management routine may be different.

The GnRH sets the cycle clock to 0, that's the reason for giving it so that the follicle is in the right phase for the lute to work. We only use it for those hard to catch girls, we prefer normal heats. But it seems (anecdotal at best) that the GnRH/Lute heats are easier to catch.

dun":3r1258wz said:
The GnRH sets the cycle clock to 0, that's the reason for giving it so that the follicle is in the right phase for the lute to work. We only use it for those hard to catch girls, we prefer normal heats. But it seems (anecdotal at best) that the GnRH/Lute heats are easier to catch.
So if I give a gnrh on day 0 and a lutalyse on day 7 then another gnrh on day 9 for those I did not catch and Ai on day 10, does that sound like it might work?

MRRherefords":ojiwc1g6 said:
dun":ojiwc1g6 said:
So if I give a gnrh on day 0 and a lutalyse on day 7 then another gnrh on day 9 for those I did not catch and Ai on day 10, does that sound like it might work?
I don;t know. What we have done in the past for the few that we didn;t catch in heat was to AI them and give GnRH at AI time. Hit about 50% conception with that method. More anecdotal, the ones that didn;t settle to that scheme didn;t settle with the bull for several cycles when we turned him in for clean up.

dun":1hv3k6dm said:

I used it twice a year ago to get a couple of hard to catch girls to cycle. I didn't have to use it this fall/winter.

But if you don't have as much time as I do to heat detect. The AI synch protocols have a credible place in the breeding program.

If your gonna wait 10 days leave the gnrh out of it. Lute day 1 it may be that they respond from 3 to 7 days after, if no response lute again on day 10, either way your at 10 days! If you want to narrow it down spend 10 bucks on a cidr, still 10 days!!

MRRherefords":2ojgjtne said:
dun":2ojgjtne said:

Point of note: you administer the second dose of GnRH at the time of AI.

Let me throw this out there. I do have some time to heat detect I just can't find them in heat. What if I were to give lutalyse on day 0 then 10-14 days later give another I would find them within 2-5 days of the first or second injection right?

MRRherefords":u6q9h0tl said:
Let me throw this out there. I do have some time to heat detect I just can't find them in heat. What if I were to give lutalyse on day 0 then 10-14 days later give another I would find them within 2-5 days of the first or second injection right?

My advice: Don't go down that road of "What if'n" unless you are a reproductive physiologist with the objective of testing a theory.

Stay with one of the credible protocols. There are several. Google Select Sires AI manual. They have a chapter on Synchronization.

Try using estrotect patches. Makes things much simpler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts