Lutalyse

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
After doing quite a bit of research. I believe. I will give a shot of gnrh day 0 lutalyse day 7 and then heat detect for the next couple days after that. Thanks again for all the help.

MRRherefords":xidnh8xs said:
After doing quite a bit of research. I believe. I will give a shot of gnrh day 0 lutalyse day 7 and then heat detect for the next couple days after that. Thanks again for all the help.

Start watching for heat at 6 days. Heat detect for 72 to 84 hours post lutalyse. Use standing heat as primary timing for AI.

If you had an opportunity to reference the SS manual, you may have seen that this protocol also has a variation in which a CIDR is inserted during the seven days between GnRH and Lutalyse.

Bright Raven":154iv45t said:
MRRherefords":154iv45t said:

Start watching for heat at 6 days. Heat detect for 72 to 84 hours post lutalyse. Use standing heat as primary timing for AI.

If you had an opportunity to reference the SS manual, you may have seen that this protocol also has a variation in which a CIDR is inserted during the seven days between GnRH and Lutalyse.
Thanks again for your help. :tiphat:

Bright Raven":2ce6s7fj said:
MRRherefords":2ce6s7fj said:
dun":2ce6s7fj said:
The GnRH sets the cycle clock to 0, that's the reason for giving it so that the follicle is in the right phase for the lute to work. We only use it for those hard to catch girls, we prefer normal heats. But it seems (anecdotal at best) that the GnRH/Lute heats are easier to catch.
So if I give a gnrh on day 0 and a lutalyse on day 7 then another gnrh on day 9 for those I did not catch and Ai on day 10, does that sound like it might work?

Point of note: you administer the second dose of GnRH at the time of AI.
not always! What he described is exactly how we do it

ez14.":1n2uc2nj said:
Bright Raven":1n2uc2nj said:
MRRherefords":1n2uc2nj said:
So if I give a gnrh on day 0 and a lutalyse on day 7 then another gnrh on day 9 for those I did not catch and Ai on day 10, does that sound like it might work?

Point of note: you administer the second dose of GnRH at the time of AI.
not always! What he described is exactly how we do it

Thanks.

also, different brands have different dosages apparently.. My vet told me that Estrumate (synthetic) is stronger and is a 2cc dose while some others are 5cc... just make sure you read up on it

Issue: Injection site for GnRH and Prostaglandins.

That the injection is intramuscular is not contested.

The question Gizmom raises is whether it should be given in the neck in accordance with BQA guidelines.

Granted, BQA suggests antibiotics and vaccines be given in the neck. A quick review of BQA does not specify the anatomical site for injection of GnRH and Prostaglandins (hormones).

The manufacturer's brochure with Lutalyse and Cystorelin in my refrigerator does not specify an anatomical location.

I have observed three different vets administer GnRH and Prostaglandins in the pelvic area or in the muscle at the rear of the thigh.

In addition, I know Fire Sweep Simmental who often prepare cows for ET, administers the injections in the muscle on the top of the pelvis.

The question is not resolved by the manufacturer's sheet. As it only specifies an intramuscular injection. BQA does not resolve the issue because it relates to antibiotics and vaccines.

There is some misinformation going on. As gizmom stated all shots should go in the neck. The 10-12 day on the label works if she was not in the right place in her cycle on the first shot but fourteen days works even if you missed the first cycle. IF they are cycling then lut every fourteen days is a great way to narrow down your heat detection time. In fact a lot of dairies do repro vet checks every two weeks because of this, every open cow gets a lut shot every two weeks. I breed most of my own cattle on that system.
The problem that you run into with beef cattle is that sometimes they won't build a CL for the lut to work on and that's where you'd need to add a cidr in.

Our embryologist insists that we give Estrumate it in the hip. We follow his recommendations since he is the one putting our embryos in and I want everything just right. Even in the few times we have flushed, we put all drugs used in the flushing in the hip. Rotate from right to left when doing the follicular stimulating hormone, since it is daily.

I have experienced a few occasions where cows had irregular estrus cycles. After consultation with the vet, I was counseled to administer Cystorelin (GnRH). I was instructed to administer it into the muscle on the backside of the thigh.

In another example, where I was concerned heifers had been exposed to a young bull running with them, I administered lutalyse (prostaglandin) intramuscularly in the area between the hook and the pin on top of the pelvic area and to the side of the spine. This is per veterinarian instruction.

Bright Raven

I don't doubt that you have seen some do it that way, I have as well. That doesn't mean that the way they are doing it meets current BQA guidelines. The following bullet point was copied directly from the BQA site.

• All products labeled for intramuscular use shall be given in the neck region only (no exceptions,
regardless of age)

We set up quite a few head and trust me it is easier to give the shot as you described. But we take the more difficult road and give all injections in the neck.

Gizmom

gizmom":gh34gxqw said:
Bright Raven

I don't doubt that you have seen some do it that way, I have as well. That doesn't mean that the way they are doing it meets current BQA guidelines. The following bullet point was copied directly from the BQA site.

• All products labeled for intramuscular use shall be given in the neck region only (no exceptions,
regardless of age)

We set up quite a few head and trust me it is easier to give the shot as you described. But we take the more difficult road and give all injections in the neck.

Gizmom

I have my BQA manual here. What struck me was it targets vaccines and antibiotics. I wonder if hormones are not limited by those guidelines????

I also have a bottle of lutalyse and Cystorelin in the refrigerator. I read the sheet in each box. Neither one specifies an injection site. Just intramuscular.

Fire Sweep Ranch":1d6to6zm said:
Our embryologist insists that we give Estrumate it in the hip.
Ask why. There has been a misconception that reproductive drugs should be given in the back end because it's closer to the uterus. If that's his reasoning drop him like a hot potato and get someone that understands how the drugs work.

Yea, drop your embryologist. He is only about 70 to 80 per cent on his conceptions with ET.

Oh, I forgot. You did drop him because he is so busy he has not been able to get there.

I have worked with a lot of vets on dairies that give shots in the back end because that's where they're standing but they'll also tell you pretty quickly that one of the main reasons dairy culls sell cheap is that the back end of most dairy cows is a pin cushion. Let's not give our cull cows that reputation.

Bright Raven":1wjnij2r said:
I have my BQA manual here. What struck me was it targets vaccines and antibiotics. I wonder if hormones are not limited by those guidelines????

I also have a bottle of lutalyse and Cystorelin in the refrigerator. I read the sheet in each box. Neither one specifies an injection site. Just intramuscular.
All that research and you still need us to tell you where to stick it.

cow pollinater":1dpwhhvs said:
Bright Raven":1dpwhhvs said:

All that research and you still need us to tell you where to stick it.

You haven't figured out what to tell anyone yet. If you do, let me know.

Well this injection site argument boils down to the right way to do it and the way that works just about as good so I don't think we need to get our panties in a wad over how everyone else does it!

ez14.":xiyo9uyh said:
Well this injection site argument boils down to the right way to do it and the way that works just about as good so I don't think we need to get our panties in a wad over how everyone else does it!

I agree. It would be helpful if others expressed what they have observed.

Clearly, vaccines, antibiotics and parasiticides are addressed in the BQA guidelines. Do hormones follow those same guidelines?

Status
Not open for further replies.