Lump on leg, weight loss

Help Support CattleToday:

fourstates

Reaction score
I have a young cow, with her first calf who had lost an unusual amount of weight. Her calf is doing well, but the cow started to look bad. I figured she just was a hard keeper and that baby was pulling her down. About a week ago, I noticed a fist sized lump on the back of her thigh. At first, I figured it was a bite of some kind, but I started to wonder if it was related to her condition. She didn't seem to have any diarrhea or respiratory problems, and was eating grass and hay. She didn't really limp, but her walk was off. She is hard to pen up, because she is low ranked and the cows push her out of the pen. The vet worked her up about a month ago, and she was current on worming and vaccinations.

Today, I got her into the pen, and checked that lump, it was firm and hot. I stuck a large gauge needle, but nothing drained. I attached a 60cc syringe, and drew some very thick pus. I cut a 2 inch incsion at the bottom of the lump and got out about 4 cups of cream cheese textured pus!!!! My helper actually gagged. I extracted as much as I could and flushed the inside of the wound with large amount of betadine. I flushed out the betadine, and inserted a tube of mastitis antibiotic. I gave her LA200 and Nuflor. The shots hurt her a lot more than draining that abcess. When I let her out of the squeeze, instead of running off like a maniac, she walked out and stayed nearby while I cleaned up. I think she had mixed feelings about what happened.

I am going to call the vet to see if he thinks I need any other medications. I hope I got the infection before it got into the bone. It was very cool but very gross.

I have seen this type of abcess most commonly from injection site reaction but also from locust thorns when I wrkd in Oklahoma we would see it alot of times from the blackleg vaccines we were using but again it was at the site of the injection I would watch it for a cple days and make sure it doesn't close up and swell again but you did exactly what we did for treatment

Latest posts