low bw shorthorn bull

Help Support CattleToday:

joe

Reaction score
The Mrs. has an angus heifer she wants to breed shorthorn. any reccomendation? needs some depth, and is a little sickle/cow hocked. need to keep a low bw, as the heifers dam is a +7.?. knowing nothing about shorthorns.......thanks in advance!

well i don't know too mych about what bulls are around in the US, but i used the canadian bull shadybrook scotty 83K on my heifer and she had a good, small calf. i know lots of people here who have used him on heifers with no problems, so he'd be fine over a cow.
he's structurally sound, long, deep and meaty. so there's my two cents worth from the other side of the world!!

well theres a clubby shorthorn thats named SIN CITY you can find a picture of him on topsires.com hes has a birthweight of 70 and has good structure with alot of depth

as a foreigner, i haven't heard much good about that bull.... nor most of the clubby calves in general.
i'd suggest you do some research before making a decision, and not just go by word of mouth. get some facts and figures.

thanks showkid. like I mentioned we know zip about shorthorns, so looking at the EPD's means nothing to me. from what I have seen, all the shorthorns look like they need a little depth themselves?

I don't think he has great calving ease, even with his birthweight. Don't go for the homerun the first time, you'll end up ruining the heifer.

To be safe I would not use a shorthorn on a heifer. Use an angus bull for the first calf and once you have a live calf use a shorthorn the next time. We have shorthorns and even when their calves weigh the same as our angus calves they are bigger built. Which causes more calving problems. Goal with a heifer is a live, healthy, and unassisted calf.

SKF Show Cattle":2nzo5km8 said:
To be safe I would not use a shorthorn on a heifer. Use an angus bull for the first calf and once you have a live calf use a shorthorn the next time. We have shorthorns and even when their calves weigh the same as our angus calves they are bigger built. Which causes more calving problems. Goal with a heifer is a live, healthy, and unassisted calf.

you shouldn't have any problems with a shorthorn bull if you consider your selection in a no-judgemental, unbiased fachion.
talking about angus bulls over heifers, we had a bull jump in with our heifers last year an of the 7 heifers he got in calf, we had to pull 6, and 3 died. in contrast, of the remaining 75 or so heifers, only 2 were pulled.

joe":2v98z9xf said:
The Mrs. has an angus heifer she wants to breed shorthorn. any reccomendation? needs some depth, and is a little sickle/cow hocked. need to keep a low bw, as the heifers dam is a +7.?. knowing nothing about shorthorns.......thanks in advance!

I'd really stay with a proven Angus for that first calf. Crossbreeding will get you larger birthweights and with a 7 BW EPD, she's not going to need any boost there. Good luck....

thanks frankie. I really don't know a thing about shorthorns, so the EPD's didn't mean a thing. the mrs. wanted to do something "clubby", since she is pb angus, but not registered, to try to make some $ off her. maybe i'll talk her into angus for the first go around. I can hope!

Then go with a good black or smokey clubby bull. There are quite a few low bw clubby bulls out their. Check Lautner's website, he has some nice bulls.

If you are breeding to an angus and WANT a shorthorn bull I would use KOOL. He IS a TH carrier but if it's a terminal cross to an angus that won't matter. We had calves from him that were #60. We have also had #100 Sin City calves and I would not use him for heifers.

Latest posts