low birth weight bull...

Help Support CattleToday:

milkmaid

Reaction score
That's what I'm looking for. I have here a holstein heifer I'm planning to keep around as a nurse cow, and I'd prefer not to deal with calving problems for her first calf.

I'd like to breed her to the lowest birth weight bull I can find, probably angus, for a calf that she can spit out without even knowing she did it. LOL. I want a calf that would be up on its feet in minutes and looking for a drink. And then something that would grow well - doesn't have to be anything spectacular though, and as I'd probably end up selling around 400-600lbs, I don't care about yearling weight, mature weight, milk, fertility, etc etc. I just want a calf that I'm not going to have to worry about.

Hope that's not asking too much. LOL.

It would probably be closer to the end of February or early March before I breed her, so I have some time yet to think about it. I don't completely understand those EPD numbers, so if anyone just has some names of bulls they'd recommend and reasons why they like those bulls, well...that'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. ;-)

Its always struck me over the years, with a few exceptions, that low birth weight bulls aren't necessarily what you need on heifers. Sure, you don't want something with a history of dropping 130lb calves, but take a long hard look at the frame of the bull. A bull with a smaller head and narrow front shoulders that build into a solid hind end is just about perfect. I've seen bulls that dropped 75 lb calves that the cows had a bear of a time with, and I've seen bulls that threw 90 - 100lb calves that just about any animal could squirt out.

I'm sorry that doesn't help you with a particular animal name or bloodline, but just because its EPD (I find these almost worthless) or birthweight isn't the absolute lowest you can get doesn't mean its going to give you troubles come calving time.

Rod

Integrity, Rito Revolution, Objective, LCC Dillon. Go to Angus Semen source or a similar site and check some out. i take it you wanted to AI her? If not find a bull with a proven background and stay below 3 for sure. If you get a negative you will be better off.

Scotty

Yes I'd be planning to go AI. I don't know too many of the beef folks locally so it seems easiest to just get that "mail-order calf". :lol:

I got to thinking about hat i said. Integrity will cost alot to use. the others will be 35 or lower. There is a bull, GAR Prominent. He is a full brother to Preeminent. Proven low BW, and they advertised his semen for comercial use for 10 $. I think Coloway Angus owns him with A 1 Angus and of course Gardiner Angus.

Scotty

When i had my herd west of blackfoot i was running an Adams Bull that was out of Thunderbolt or Thunder agent and he dropped some real good calves and they never had a problem real small at birth. Chet Adams in Firth would be the one to contact i bet he would help you out with some good semen. Another guy would be Val carter in Pingree i ran one of his bulls before and he would possibly have some semen of his calving ease bulls. As far as AI sires go i would recomend Rito 6I6. I hope this helps if you have any questions let me know.

Thanks for the help so far. Any other particular names, folks? Maybe first choice, second choice, etc? or someone want to raise a hand in favor of some of the names already suggested? Any first-hand experience with calves from any of those bulls?

Like I said, I'm a little clueless in this department. :lol: I'm not a beef person, so I'll need a little help choosing a sire for this heifer. Most of the bulls look pretty good to me...which should show my ignorance right there. LOL.

Thanks again-

AI to this bull from Bullbarn.com

QLC Krugerrand W771E
Reg. No.: 12405386

Trait EPD Acc Trait EPD Acc Trait EPD Acc Trait EPD Acc Trait Value
CED +11 .51
BW -1.8 .73
WW +68 .72
YW +128 .66

You want a nurse cow for what reason? What bull are you planning to use for that cow's NEXT calf? What are you planning to do with her next calf? Are you planning on having more than ONE cow in your 'HERD'? :help: :roll: What are you planning to "NURSE" with this cow? Are you planning to consider WHY you are playing with this cow? If you don't understand anything about EPD's, what started you thinking about "Low Birth Weights?" That brings us back to the first question, "You want a nurse cow for what reason???

DOC HARRIS

Milkmaid,
Northern Improvment is an Angus and a heifer bull. He is a calf spitter outer. :roll: SEK, Bovine Elite, and I think ABS can get him. Take Care, Sterlingbp

DOC HARRIS":iuyczlmt said:
You want a nurse cow for what reason? What bull are you planning to use for that cow's NEXT calf? What are you planning to do with her next calf? Are you planning on having more than ONE cow in your 'HERD'? :help: :roll: What are you planning to "NURSE" with this cow? Are you planning to consider WHY you are playing with this cow? If you don't understand anything about EPD's, what started you thinking about "Low Birth Weights?" That brings us back to the first question, "You want a nurse cow for what reason???

DOC HARRIS

What reason? nurse what with the cow? :lol: ;-) I'd put three additonal calves on this cow after she calves, and leave them on for a good 5-6 months, if not longer.

I have two nurse cows right now, Doc. I've done this for awhile and I know what I'm doing. One of them will be ready to dry off in two weeks, calving in February, the other is raising calves for me at the moment and won't be calving until next summer. A good nurse cow can raise 4 plus calves at once, and get a 2lb+ gain off each calf. And I can put them on and leave them on 24/7 for several months. It's how I make my cash, Doc. Between working on a dairy milking cows, and then coming home to my own little "herd", that's how I make my college money. More than that, I'm enjoying it and doing pretty well.

Back to the main question. Any particular bulls you'd recommend, Doc?

From the red side, Buffallo creek Cherokee Canyon from ABS has the most vigorous calves we've ever seen. All of them have been up and banging around looking for grits in less then 5 minutes, some before the cow has even bothered getting to her feet. He runs 30 bucks from ABS but usually you can get a bit of a deal on him.

dun

Scotty:
I like Gardiner bulls, but calling Preeminent proven is pretty way off to me. He was just sold this year at the April sale and just turned 2 yrs old a few months ago. Prominent is even less known; i would look elsewhere if birthweight is the main objective.

for low birth weight, i would suggest Mytty in Focus. Top 1% of the breed for low BW, WW, YW. His BW accuracy is .66. he has a pretty nice structured, meaty look to him.
http://www.angus.org/common/epd_ped_det ... d=13880818

might i suggest as a rule of thumb for feeder calf producers selling near after weaning that the $Wean value is made just for you. anything over a +25.00 is very good and +30.00 is tops in the industry. It is a multi-trait (multi-EPD) calculation that takes feed costs, growth and calving ease into account.

Aero":2z5ga49d said:
Scotty:
I like Gardiner bulls, but calling Preeminent proven is pretty way off to me. He was just sold this year at the April sale and just turned 2 yrs old a few months ago. Prominent is even less known; i would look elsewhere if birthweight is the main objective.

for low birth weight, i would suggest Mytty in Focus. Top 1% of the breed for low BW, WW, YW. His BW accuracy is .66. he has a pretty nice structured, meaty look to him.
http://www.angus.org/common/epd_ped_det ... d=13880818

might i suggest as a rule of thumb for feeder calf producers selling near after weaning that the $Wean value is made just for you. anything over a +25.00 is very good and +30.00 is tops in the industry. It is a multi-trait (multi-EPD) calculation that takes feed costs, growth and calving ease into account.

I bet in January there accuracy numbers will go up. i have a buddy that had 60 heifers bred to Prom. and they all calved at an average of 57 lbs. with a high of 66. Your right, they are not proven yet. i would use them. have you used Mytty, all i have seen are the advertisments.

Scotty

we have bred him to 10 heifers to be born next year. i have seen some offspring and they have a real nice rounded hindquarter with neat shoulders.

that's good information on Prominent. the only reason we wont use him is because his YH is so low. I would say if he averaged 57 on calves, the BW will definitely go down.

i have a buddy that had 60 heifers bred to Prom. and they all calved at an average of 57 lbs. with a high of 66.

Are these "Real" cattle or miniatures? Nutrition problems?

If I got an average birthweight of 57 lbs. I would be irate!

milkmaid":tapmx9p9 said:
That's what I'm looking for. I have here a holstein heifer I'm planning to keep around as a nurse cow, and I'd prefer not to deal with calving problems for her first calf.

I'd like to breed her to the lowest birth weight bull I can find, probably angus, for a calf that she can spit out without even knowing she did it. LOL. I want a calf that would be up on its feet in minutes and looking for a drink. And then something that would grow well - doesn't have to be anything spectacular though, and as I'd probably end up selling around 400-600lbs, I don't care about yearling weight, mature weight, milk, fertility, etc etc. I just want a calf that I'm not going to have to worry about.

Hope that's not asking too much. LOL.

It would probably be closer to the end of February or early March before I breed her, so I have some time yet to think about it. I don't completely understand those EPD numbers, so if anyone just has some names of bulls they'd recommend and reasons why they like those bulls, well...that'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. ;-)

Summitcrest Hi Flyer, otherwise known as PFred, $16. He's an ABS bull and as sure a calving ease bull as you can get today. I've been pleasantly surprised by the PFred calves we had born here in the spring. ABS also has New Design 878 listed as a heifer bull, $20. He's also well proven. Ours have been moderate framed and thick. Rockin D Ambush is an older, proven bull, but more expensive @ $30. N Bar Prime time @$18 has good carcass qualities.

Who will do your AI work? If it's a semen rep, he might have something that he can recommend. Just be sure it's a true calving ease bull with high accuracies.

And remember that the heifer will have as much or more to do with the calf as the bull. No matter which bull you use, there can still be birthing difficulties, breech, etc. Good luck.

MikeC":10nnxsn3 said:
i have a buddy that had 60 heifers bred to Prom. and they all calved at an average of 57 lbs. with a high of 66.

Are these "Real" cattle or miniatures? Nutrition problems?

If I got an average birthweight of 57 lbs. I would be irate!

Well, they are not minitures, and they look like real cattle standing in the pasture. i didn't weight them. The ones I have seen looked really nice. Long and slinder but not starved down. The heifers were all bred to be low birth weight also. Just a line of cattle to sell low BW to commercial breeders.

Scotty

Latest posts